Questions from a noob

Dexter0380

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Hello. I have just upgraded from a 3GS to the Sammy GS II Skyrocket. This is my first Android device and I have several questions as it relates to Android in general. I've done my time researching first and I can't seem to find straight answers to what I want to know. I'm hoping someone with technical knowledge and answer my questions. =)

1) How are contacts managed? It's my understanding that you can have contacts saved directly to the phone itself or even to the SIM. Can contacts be actively stored on the SIM only or is the SIM only used to export/import contacts and they are all stored on the phone?

2) This is also a contacts question.... what contacts are backed up to my gmail account with the sync feature? Example, my phone is linking contacts with Facebook. I can see them in my contact list, and I am aware that I can turn off my "view" of seeing these contacts, but my phone still knows they are there of course. Are these contacts then being backed and added into my gmail account as well? They do not appear to be when I log into gmail from my PC. Or are they basically just "linked" and they are not part of the sync process? If they are not being backed up, then is my best option to managing my contacts to manually add them into gmail from my PC, or what is the best method for managing contacts so I don't lose any if I ever need to get a new phone.

3) Applications. I notice that some apps seem to also come with a Widget feature. I don't see in the android market if an app has a widget or if it's strictly just an app or strictly just a widget. Is there any way for me to tell?

4) Applications. It seems that some apps are always running in the background. I can see this as being convenient but also potentially negative, which I understand is why there are apps such as advanced task killer. How come I can "kill" some apps natively in the OS under the TouchWiz "Task manager" option, and sometimes is doesn't list any open apps, even though I know they are running in the background because I keep getting notifications from them. Groupon for example. It must be running somewhere because it displays notifications, but it doesn't list it as an open app. Is this the purpose of advanced task killer? Can I then see these other background apps and choose to kill or disable them?

Thanks in advanced and sorry for asking anything that has already been discussed. I'm just trying to understand the OS better and appreciate any feedback :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech