Should I Switch From Blackberry to Android or iPhone?

shopinchic

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I've been a faithful Blackberry user for about a year and a half, and while I love my phone, I am starting to itch for a new device. Should I switch to Android or iPhone, or should I stay with Blackberry? Here are a few things to keep in mind.

1- I already own an iPod Touch(2nd gen I think) which does pretty much everything an iPhone could do minus making phone calls or taking pictures. I love it and use it everyday but would an iPhone be a better investment? Is it worth the money?

2- I am seriously considering an Android because I don't have one and they sound really awesome:cool:, but I looked at the Android Market Place and they pretty much have all the same apps the iPhone has. Moreover, if I was to choose an Android, which model would be best? I am considering the HTC Droid Incredible 2 but that's a contract phone and I'm a little scared of contract phones. I could get a prepaid Android but I've heard nothing but complaints about those phones, so I assume they're poorly made.

3- I really love my Blackberry and this is the longest time I ever stayed with one phone, unfortunately I'm getting the itch to trade up. Do you think I should just trade up my current model?

I just want to know everyone's experience and opinions on all three smartphones!

Thanks so much for reading and I can't wait to read what everyone else says!

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
One word... Freedom.

To change they way your device looks and behaves. No restrictions.

This is why people change to Android.

You can be a sheep or a wildcat. Take your pick.

Nimocone

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
We can't tell you what you're going to like. You're going to have to play with the phones and see what suits you best. I came over from BlackBerry a little over a year ago. The biggest scare was getting a phone without a keyboard. Used Swype for a week and now I won't go back to a keyboard. If you're the kind that likes to tinker with your phone, go with Android. If you just want a phone that has apps and you can't be bothered worrying about configurations, go with Apple.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Another big complaint I've heard from Blackberry converts is getting used to the shorter battery life. Be prepared to charge your phone every night, if not more often. The trade off is well worth it, though.

knighthawk321

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Another big complaint I've heard from Blackberry converts is getting used to the shorter battery life. Be prepared to charge your phone every night, if not more often. The trade off is well worth it, though.
I'm just converting over to Android after two BlackBerries (Curve and Bold 9700). I went with the HTC Vivid, which is out for delivery this morning (finally!). As a Berry user, though, I can say about them that their battery lives weren't out of line with the others, except for the extreme video watchers on the Android phones. An inveterate texter, emailer, and net surfer (to the extent that you can on a Berry) will draw down his/her battery quite quickly, often enough to require daily charge or even mid-day top-offs. To sum it up, it really doesn't matter what kind or brand (within reason) of phone you have. If you live on it, you're going to have to recharge it on the regular.

knighthawk321

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I've been a faithful Blackberry user for about a year and a half, and while I love my phone, I am starting to itch for a new device. Should I switch to Android or iPhone, or should I stay with Blackberry? Here are a few things to keep in mind.

1- I already own an iPod Touch(2nd gen I think) which does pretty much everything an iPhone could do minus making phone calls or taking pictures. I love it and use it everyday but would an iPhone be a better investment? Is it worth the money?

2- I am seriously considering an Android because I don't have one and they sound really awesome:cool:, but I looked at the Android Market Place and they pretty much have all the same apps the iPhone has. Moreover, if I was to choose an Android, which model would be best? I am considering the HTC Droid Incredible 2 but that's a contract phone and I'm a little scared of contract phones. I could get a prepaid Android but I've heard nothing but complaints about those phones, so I assume they're poorly made.

3- I really love my Blackberry and this is the longest time I ever stayed with one phone, unfortunately I'm getting the itch to trade up. Do you think I should just trade up my current model?

I just want to know everyone's experience and opinions on all three smartphones!

Thanks so much for reading and I can't wait to read what everyone else says!

I have to agree with Moscow Desire when he said "Freedom" as a defining reason to go with an Android phone. The apple universe is a Very closed environment, as is BlackBerry (what is it about the fruit being that way??). With either, your range of customization is limited to what apple or RIM care to grant you (not much). With Android, think Burger King: yes, you can have it your way. I'm coming off 2 upgrade cycles of BlackBerries and I went Android in a hurry after seeing what my friends' phones could do.

As for what phone to get, that depends on two things: who your carrier is and what you're willing to spend. The first defines your selection of phones overall. VZW, Sprint and TMo have had the better selections of phones, but AT&T is playing catch up rather well. If you're in a position to switch, then your choices are virtually unlimited and the carrier features and terms become the first defining choice.
The second, financial, will define the quality of phone you get. If you go VZW, be prepared to spend up to $300 On Contract for a good Android phone, but it will be a Good Phone. The Resound, the Razr and several others are the bleeding edge. AT&T is somewhat less, but they've got the GS2 Skyrocket and the Vivid at the top of their line. I am an AT&T customer, and got the Vivid at $199 on contract. TMo has the GS2 and the Amaze. Sprint has their version of the GS2 and the EVO3D. So, you see, there are plenty of high end phones out there. As a Berry user, I would think you would be looking at the high - end phones for each carrier, but there are lesser but capable Android phones out there, too.

One thing to look out for, regardless of your choices. Moore's Law is in full force in the smartphone world. Whatever you get will be obsolete almost as soon as you get it. Get the best phone you can that you like with the carrier of your choice and enjoy it for the 18 - 24 months of your upgrade cycle. By the end of it, the new phones out there will dazzle you again.

Welcome to the wide open world of Android.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I have a BB Storm 2 and before that a Pearl (yes I know) so been on BB the last four plus years. Last Nov I bought a iPod Touch 4 and my wife got a iPhone 4 for Mothers Day this year. I hate iTunes! Just a pain in the a$$ to use and seems like it never wants to update my iPod (still have not been able to get iOS 5 on it yet). My wife loves her phone but also hates iTunes. The iPhone is easy to use I will give it that, and if you are having problems with it there is a solution just a google search away. But I can't wait to get myself a android phone! Hopefully by this time next week I will be playing with a Galaxy Nexus!