Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rukbat
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Default Internet Explorer for Android

So I want to get the wife the Transformer Prime for her work, BUT they have a site that they MUST use that is Internet Explorer only. I've looked around a bit, but it seems nothing is available, but most of those threads weren't this specific and they all seemed to be pretty old. So, are there any options that will allow her to get to this site or should I just scrap the whole idea until her company moves into the current technological age?

Global Posts
    8,902 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Internet Explorer for Android

Internet Explorer is not available for Android. There are several browsers on the market that may still work -- you'll have to verify each one by going to the site.

If you can make your way to a store with tablet display models and you are able to install apps, give the following a try:

Opera
    Dolphin
    Boat
    Firefox
    Skyfire
    Miren

Opera, Dolphin and Firefox may be the most popular third-party browsers, in no particular order.
    Troubleshooter

ROM
    Jiffy Pop Roots 3.47.114

Have you tried Opera? Dolphin? Chrome? Firefox?

It seems they are just old fashioned.

But. I would try the the above mentioned browsers.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Dammit, looks like its not working with those browser options. Great, not there is really no way to justify buying the Transformer Prime.....

Global Posts
    8,902 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

I'm sure you can find some way to justify the purchase Just come up with some creative thinking.

You can try Firefox with the Phony addon to change its user agent to IE, but that really wont be enough to work if the website required ActiveX and Java.

The best method is to get a Windows tablet when work is a priority. You can get a refurb Acer W500 at Cheetah Deals, which is how I got mine. Before the standard attacks on Windows, this thing last up to 6 hours for me and remains a better companion than my last 5 Honeycomb tablets. with that said, the best tablets are going to be ones that can run both Windows and Android.

Also please don't suggest the OP to use remote access just to use IE. Its bad enough that its IE.

just get her the samsung series 7 slate instead. its a great tablet and it runs windows 7 soo it will have internet explorer

Global Posts
    5,690 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Just 2 notes:

IE uses parts of Windows, so there can't be any non-Windows IE. (There used to be a version for Mac OS, but it was a completely different program that just looked like IE.)

As an experienced web developer (20+ years), I have to say that anyone who develops a site that will only run in IE isn't a very good developer. I sure wouldn't hire him.
    B. Diddy likes this.

I have the same issue with a site that is very particular about being run from IE and popups allowed, many people have difficulty using the site. I was thinking I might be able to use one of the remote control apps to use IE from a PC sitting somewhere else while I carry the tablet. If anyone has advice on how to set that up or how well those apps work I would appreciate it.

Global Posts
    5,690 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

JB58, you can tether a Windows computer to the phone (USB, Bluetooth or wifi) and use IE on the computer. The apps work well. The only problem could be your phone company - some don't allow tethering, and you could be charged a bit (or a lot) for doing it, or you could lose your account (and your number).

Cool Re: Internet Explorer for Android

android 上运行 ie ,可能性比明天是世界末日还低