Is there anyway to lock the phone into 4g only?

thebodie

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a rooted Droid Razr and have been searching for a way to lock it into 4g-only to no avail. At work I get a decent 4g signal, but for some reason it keeps switching back and forth between 3g and 4g, which kills my battery life. I can save the battery by locking it into 1x or 3g-only using #*#*4636*#*#, but it's annoying to switch back into auto network select every time I want to look something up. So basically I'm curious if there is a way to lock it into 4g-only so that if it's not getting a 4g signal it just quits working. I don't want it to toggle back and forth between what it thinks is the best network choice at that time.

Thanks,

Bodie

Last edited:

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
You can install for example, a widget that will toggle multiple settings, or just kill the connection. This would be easy to do from the homescreen rather than go into settings all the time.

As far as 4g only option, you would probably need a custom rom that gives you that option. Or to root your phone at the very least, then find an app on the market.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
As Moscow said, there are apps in the market that allow you to toggle on/off data, 3g, etc. You can download one and disable 3g data and keep 4g active. Keep in mind, if you don't have 4g coverage you'll be without data services.

My suggestion is to disable 4g in areas you know are weak and maintain a strong 3g signal. 4g alone is also eating battery life and you'll have better results staying on a 3g network when you need to.