1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Android Tablet for Autistic Child

Hello everyone.

I need some advice and rather hear feedback from "real" people rather than continuing to read reviews into oblivion.

I'm looking for a tablet for my soon-to-be four year old son, who is on the autism spectrum. He is non-verbal, but we believe high-functioning otherwise. He LOVES computers, especially anything touch screen. They use iPads in his classroom, but I cannot afford nor do I think it's wise to give a four-year-old an iPad.

We were trying to find a low-cost version of an Android tablet. We currently have a Pandigital Novel, but it's giving me nothing but headaches and it's really non-responsive. I stopped by Best Buy last night and talked to someone there. I really like the Samsung products, but it's a bit cost-prohibitive. I didn't know if anyone knew of a "quality" tablet that I might try. I want it to be easy to update (firmware, apps, etc.), something that can play videos and learning apps, and small enough for a four-year-old to comfortably handle. Battery life is a consideration as well, since he gets upset when I have to take the unit away from him to charge it.

Thank you all very much.

Default Re: Android Tablet for Autistic Child

I am looking for the same information. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    ROM
    SfK CM7

Kindle Fire or Nook Tablet? Some schools are getting grants just for that. Look at interventioncentral.com or ldonline.com. AutismSpeaks may have info too.

I have an 8 year old autistic son. we got him a leappad explorer for Christmas this year. We're hoping this will lead into some type of pad next year. He gets very upset if he can't figure things out and will NOT let anyone help.

Lots of apps available. I use them with kids with trama based issues. I have a Toshiba thrive. There are plenty of apps that are based off of aba, etc. I know of behavior analyst who use them as well

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

my daughter just turned five the end of December and we got her a toshiba thrive android tablet and it wasn't to costly and she's doing great on it and she actually likes to share with me and she is also autistic my words truely gifted and angels she's very into touch screen things also and computers just thought it might give you an idea good luck an have fun the tablet seems to have made us get to have a little more time enjoying it together

The answer depends on what you are trying to do. I spent money on a Motorola Xoom for a couple of reasons. First, it could support the final communication software that we are hoping to use. But just as important was that I could get an Otter Box to protect it and the Otterbox Utility Straps. It is wonderful for both communication and education.

But if you are looking for just communication, then you would most likely want an IPod Touch or an inactive cell phone with Android (and a good touch screen). Or maybe an active cell phone that you lock the keys on, allowing on specific number to be dialed. They used to sell child locked phones.

I'm saying this from experience. A tablet or Ipad is just too large to carry around easily as a communication device for a child. Even with protective cases, they get dropped too easily because little hands have problems with them. Look for something that you can put in a good heavy duty protective case. I will be picking up something like that sometime in the next year. I still consider the XOOM a good choice for us, but until he gets older it's bulky for him to handle. And that means that he doesn't use it as frequently as he could to communicate.

Also, there are a lot of apps that work on the Kindle Fire or Nook. Again, make sure you can get a heavy duty protective case. That's a lot of money to spend to have it destroyed by accident, or even on purpose.