Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By baseballfanz
  • 2 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By rapnalaka
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How To Change The Default Video Player?

How do I change the default video player? Right now it is set to open and play videos in the default Android video player, but I want to use a better, more feature rich video player from the marketplace. I tried using apps that changed defaults, but they didn't have any options for videos, just which default app would open pics.

Posted Using My Sprint HTC EVO3D Using Tapatalk -

Go into Settings>Applications>Manage application>find the video player that's default right now, click on it and find the clear default button.
    Last edited by baseballfanz; 12-06-2011 at 11:08 AM.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by baseballfanz View Post
    Go into Settings>Applications>Manage application>find the video player that's default right now, click on it and find the clear default button.
    Thanks! I got it to work. That was easier then I thought it would be.

Default Re: How To Change The Default Video Player?

Hi all,

There are 100s of apps on my phone and I have no clue which one is the default video player app. I have never set any app as default for playing videos so does anybody know which app is the - let's call it factory setted - default app for playing videos (Samsung Galaxy Note)? I'd really appreciate any help.
    Thanks,
    Freddy

If you're not sure, you should be able to clear all defaults. Go to Settings/Apps, then tap the menu button and select "Reset app preferences" or something to that effect (the wording may differ between devices.

thank you very much for your information. i tried it and worked it. thank you very much again
    B. Diddy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rapnalaka View Post
    thank you very much for your information. i tried it and worked it. thank you very much again
    Glad it helped, and welcome to Android Central!

Shoot. I used to be able to choose the player in Facebook but now "some" player automatically opens. I want to be able to choose because I can use Allcast and watch on my TV. Well, now I cannot. Tried resetting app preferences and that did not work. Not sure what the heck happened...it worked fine yesterday!!

Same here...I have soft rest, hard reset, no changes. I went to bestbuy and played with a demo phone (note 3) it worked fine, I am wondering if Facebook changed something that now we can't use our own player, love to knw how to fix that . I used yo be able to down load video but I can't now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Alimi View Post
    Same here...I have soft rest, hard reset, no changes. I went to bestbuy and played with a demo phone (note 3) it worked fine, I am wondering if Facebook changed something that now we can't use our own player, love to knw how to fix that . I used yo be able to down load video but I can't now.
    It indeed is a Facebook issue. I tried uninstalling then re-installing and it worked for a little while...then went back into using "some" video player. It does this on both my S4 and Tab II so I know it isn't the phone.

I have a Droid RAZR Maxx and have the same problem. I don't care for the standard player you get from the Gallery.

Can it be changed?

Quote Originally Posted by the2ndflood View Post
    How do I change the default video player? Right now it is set to open and play videos in the default Android video player, but I want to use a better, more feature rich video player from the marketplace. I tried using apps that changed defaults, but they didn't have any options for videos, just which default app would open pics.

This is because of the latest Facebook update... Most phones and tabs auto update their apps on WiFi... Hence you don't realise that there is a change between yesterday and today... All of a sudden the videos start opening in-app by default...

Go to settings >apps>facebook.
    Uninstall updates... It'll ask you "do you want to revert to factory version?" Say "yes".

Once done, open fb app, give your user credentials and log in...

Touch any video and you have multiple options available as old...

Enjoy!!!

Siva Kumar