How do I paste copied text into a blank field on ICS?

Telperion

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps I'm completely missing this, but I can't trigger the paste text action on Ice Cream Sandwich in any reliable manner. I end up having to type a letter, then double tap around and eventually hope I get the paste option.

Is there a link or tutorial somewhere on how copy / paste / select text is supposed to work?

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Did they change it from the way it functioned in GB? You no longer long press a text box and select paste? If so, that's crazy!! :eek:

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Wuh? That's crazy. Why would they change something so fundamental like that? I'm not doubting you guys, it's just really strange. I hope someone can post an answer. :confused:

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
On my Nexus S with ICS, the long-press on a text input field does trigger the appearance of a paste box. This is stock OTA ICS, not a custom ROM of any sorts.

Compared to GB though the box is more muted and less in my face, so maybe it's easier to miss it? I almost didn't see it the first time.

bobthebob

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
personally as a sometime UX guy I think the implementation of this very fundamental set of operations is abysmal. truly crap.

and don't even get me started on the lack of the menu and search buttons...

sometimes I get the impression that the UX team over at Google is either asleep at the wheel or just being ignored by engineers who think they know better.

anon(502805)

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Select the text you want to copy and then long press on it, you will then see a header towards the top of the phone with different icons for copy, cut and something else. Then go to the field you want to paste it into and long press on it, you will then see the paste option. Hope this helps.

puddlejumper32

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
The long press brings up the copy and paste option but if try to use
The fields to highlight what you want to copy it doesn't work. It needs
to be fixed its so annoying.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
What do you mean "the fields to highlight?" Use the blue markers to select what text you want to copy, then tap the copy button at the top. When you want to paste, long press the text box and paste should appear right above where the cursor is currently position. Just tested it and it works fine on my Prime.

trimeta

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I too had this problem, and then realized that I wasn't actually copying the text. The new text manipulation bar is a bit confusing, so those having problems should check if that's the issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non