Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default How-to: Use your phone as a 3G modem for your laptop (now, not in 2.2 =P)

    Sure, using that nice screen on your phone to visit Android Central's forums is great and all, but maybe you want a bit more space. Say, the full 15 inches of your trusty laptop compared to the 3-some inches on your phone. Wouldn't it be awesome to use the 3G service you are REQUIRED to pay for on a device other than your phone? With Android, you can!

    "But wait!" you say, "I don't pay for Verizon/Sprint/AT&T/TMo's overpriced BS that they call mobile tethering. So I am screwed right?" There you would be wrong.

    You see, there is an amazing app called that lets you use that glorious 3G connection that you have on your phone, and use it to surf the web on your laptop, PC or Mac.

    Steps:
    1.Download PDAnet from the marketplace
    2.Install the PDAnet server for your OS of choice
    3.You will have to restart your computer
    4. Hook up your phone, run PDAnet and follow the instructions!

    note: on my Mac I had to turn on wifi to get the computer to connect properly. But I connected to a network I knew did not have connection to the internet. For most people, you should just be able to turn wifi on and not have to connect to anything, but let me know if you have issues!

    There you go. Now, you are finally able to really use that unlimited 3G data plan on your computer.

    A great feature of PDAnet is that all traffic is actually rooted through your phone so your carrier can't tell that you are tethering. As far as they know, you are just surfing the web on your phone.

    Enjoy, and feel free to post questions/comments or if I should clarify anything!

    [edit] and I know this works, cause I posted this entire thread using PDAnet with my laptop =]
    Droid Incredible (4/29/10) -> TBolt (4/9/11) -> GNex (4/1/2012) > Droid Maxx (9/13/13)
    Thanked by 5:
  2. #2  

    Default

    Thanks alot, very helpful.
  3. #3  

    Default

    I did it and it works great for me. Thanks!!
  4. #4  

    Default charged

    so you want get charged if used and does it work on backflip
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by icc4p2 View Post
    so you want get charged if used and does it work on backflip
    Please learn what a sentence is =P

    And like I said, the way PDAnet manages your laptop's connection is such that the carrier thinks you are just on the phone. As I recall the AT&T has crippled the backflip is some way but honestly I haven't bothered to read much about the backflip. Dl it on the market and get the free version of the PC server software and find out and post on here if it works for you =]
    Droid Incredible (4/29/10) -> TBolt (4/9/11) -> GNex (4/1/2012) > Droid Maxx (9/13/13)
    Thanked by:
  6. #6  

    Default ok

    ok thx for you coment but i got one question what should i not do so att doesnt notice anything werid at my data usage
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default

    PDAnet does it for you. If you use PDAnet you should be fine. Other tethering apps work differently and can let the carrier know that you are tethering, PDAnet doesnt
    Droid Incredible (4/29/10) -> TBolt (4/9/11) -> GNex (4/1/2012) > Droid Maxx (9/13/13)
  8. #8  
  9. #9  

    Thumbs up

    Thanks for the info! Gonna try it out tonight!
  10. #10  

    Default

    pdanet is a free trial app. when trial ends you cannot access https sites. it does work though. im trying to find a way to wifi tether without rooting my cell or paying anything....... any ideas???? message me pls
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redndeyes View Post
    pdanet is a free trial app. when trial ends you cannot access https sites. it does work though. im trying to find a way to wifi tether without rooting my cell or paying anything....... any ideas???? message me pls
    wifi tethering without rooting is a no go. Just buy PDAnet, its $4 for crying out loud. You can even tether over bluetooth using PDAnet which is pretty much the same thing as wifi.
    Droid Incredible (4/29/10) -> TBolt (4/9/11) -> GNex (4/1/2012) > Droid Maxx (9/13/13)
  12. #12  

    Default

    kyleg i would remove att user for june 7th sadly i am one of them
  13. #13  
    G-Money713's Avatar

    Posts
    314 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.0.4 &Cyanogen 7.2

    Default

    I use pdanet and it is a great addition to the phone. I use the usb teether and it is almost as fast as having wifi access. Give it a try.
    My Toys
    Google Nexus 10 JB 4.3
    Galaxy S4 JB 4.2
    Galaxy SII ICS 4.0.3
    Moto Droid Cyanogen 7.2
    Wife's Stuff
    Galaxy Note II JB 4.2
    Galaxy S II ICS 4.0.3
    Galaxy Tab II 10.1 JB 4.1.2
  14. #14  

    Default

    Very nice post. I wish I would have seen this earlier or ever known about it. I tried getting it to work on my phone before but I didnt know you had to download PDAnet on your phone and computer. Thanks for the tutorial
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDroid View Post
    Very nice post. I wish I would have seen this earlier or ever known about it. I tried getting it to work on my phone before but I didnt know you had to download PDAnet on your phone and computer. Thanks for the tutorial
    NP. It is redic that you should have to pay just to use the data you are already paying for on another device. Like the BS at&t is doing for iPhones. Its redic.
    Droid Incredible (4/29/10) -> TBolt (4/9/11) -> GNex (4/1/2012) > Droid Maxx (9/13/13)
  16. #16  
    BPHusker's Avatar

    Posts
    124 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    When I plugged the EVO into my PC I noticed their was an option for "USB Internet Sharing." Do you get charged for the "Internet Sharing" option, or just for the Hotspot? I am going to be going on a trip this weekend and was hoping I could do this without getting charged.
  17. #17  

    Talking Works Fantastic on the Backflip!!!

    I can't thank you enough!! It was so simple!! Downloaded the 64-bit version from CNet's website. It gave simple step by step instructions on what to do. I tested my down/up speed just now. 2.87Mb/s up, .64Mb/s down.
    AT&T all the way baby!!!
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kweyandt View Post
    I can't thank you enough!! It was so simple!! Downloaded the 64-bit version from CNet's website. It gave simple step by step instructions on what to do. I tested my down/up speed just now. 2.87Mb/s up, .64Mb/s down.
    AT&T all the way baby!!!
    Free tethering in android- another reason Android > iPhone
    Droid Incredible (4/29/10) -> TBolt (4/9/11) -> GNex (4/1/2012) > Droid Maxx (9/13/13)
  19. #19  

    Default

    Does this app work with all versions of Windows (2K, XP, 7, etc...)? I sometimes need network connectivity and this would be an immense help.

    Any idea if the installer needs admin rights?
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Does this app work with all versions of Windows (2K, XP, 7, etc...)? I sometimes need network connectivity and this would be an immense help.

    Any idea if the installer needs admin rights?
    Works in XP-7, 32 & 64 bit. And I would assume it would need admin rights because I think Windows requires admin rights (or at least an admin password) to install anything. you can get the server for free so why don't you install and see?
    Droid Incredible (4/29/10) -> TBolt (4/9/11) -> GNex (4/1/2012) > Droid Maxx (9/13/13)
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BPHusker View Post
    When I plugged the EVO into my PC I noticed their was an option for "USB Internet Sharing." Do you get charged for the "Internet Sharing" option, or just for the Hotspot? I am going to be going on a trip this weekend and was hoping I could do this without getting charged.
    This is done through your carriers' tethering plan, in your case Sprint, so yes you would have to pay for it. If you use PDAnet you don't, as the app works such that the carrier can't tell you are tethering.
    Droid Incredible (4/29/10) -> TBolt (4/9/11) -> GNex (4/1/2012) > Droid Maxx (9/13/13)
  22. #22  
    ItnStln511's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    626 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,980 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyleg View Post
    PDAnet does it for you. If you use PDAnet you should be fine. Other tethering apps work differently and can let the carrier know that you are tethering, PDAnet doesnt
    Wow that's good! This will be one of the first programs I buy when I get my Android phone.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ItnStln511 View Post
    Wow that's good! This will be one of the first programs I buy when I get my Android phone.
    You can even set up tethering over bluetooth which is awesomeeeee
    Droid Incredible (4/29/10) -> TBolt (4/9/11) -> GNex (4/1/2012) > Droid Maxx (9/13/13)
  24. #24  

    Default

    I have used PDAnet in the past on my WM phones with great success. I was looking at it, Easy Tether and Tether. Easy Tether seems to work well too, but Tether seems to route you via different DNS servers. But Easy is 1/2 the price of PDAnet. You must have gotten your version for some discount becasue it's $18.95 now for the full version. Not a deal killer for the functionality though. Did you compare Easy with PDAnet?
    Treo 650> Moto Q> Moto Q9c> BB Storm> HTC Touch Pro> iPhone 3G> Palm Pre> iPhone 3GS> Droid> Incredible> EVO 4G
  25. #25  

    Default

    Thanks a lot, this worked great!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B