1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Default From Blackberry to Android.

I have been searching the threads and can't seem to find the answers I am looking for.

I am looking at the upcoming EVO and wanted some input on the features I really like from Blackberry. My question is can Android match what I like about my Blackberry either naively or with an app.

Notifications: When I put my blackberry in the holster it changes all the alert setting the way I want them. For example out of the holster the phone rings and email alerts are audible. In the holster changes all alert settings. The phone goes to multiple vibrations and email alerts are changed to one quick vibration.
    At night when I put the phone in the dock, blackberry goes into bedside mode. In my case all email alerts are turned off and the ringer changes to a different tone and is very loud.

Email: I use google apps so I know I will have a good email experience but my question pertains to attachments. I get around 15 pdf attachments per day, some of which exceed 20 pages. I need to look at the file and forward the pdf along to another person. I don't know how blackberry does what they do, but it seems like I am not truly downloading the pdf, just an image of the pdf. So when I forward the email I don't have to re-upload the pdf, it is just forwarding from the blackberry server. So I guess I am asking for opinions on how well Android handles large attachments.

I'm not sure how to ask this one. Does Android use a universal inbox or do you have to open each account to see the email. Right now I have 5 email accounts coming into my blackberry and everything is in the same spot. (email, sms, twitter, facebook etc)

Apps: I am sure there is a replacement app for everything I use, the only one I wanted to ask about is and app call PodTrapper. It pulls down podcasts at night while charging and they are ready to listen to in the morning when I go to work.

The only "deal breaker" for me would be the pdf attachments. If Android doesn't handle them well I have to stick with Blackberry as much as I don't want to. The other things like bedside mode and the magnet sensor of blackberry are the kind of things that once I had them I wondered how I lived without them for so long. With that said is there anything with Android that you thought, wow why didn't my last phone have that.

notifications : I don't use it myself, but looks like this should work for you -

email: There are apps you can download to view/save attachments. I would recommend and . Your phone should have a PDF viewer but you can always get for more functionality. Also, get for Microsoft Office docs.

After testing it with a PDF, I think Android works the same way. You can always download it if you want, but this isnt dont by default.

You can setup gmail such that all your other email accounts are forwarded into one gmail account. I don't think you will be able to reply with any email account other than the main gmail one though (not sure, haven't played around with gmail too much)

apps: view my thread about TuneSync. It handles podcasts like a champ (you need a wifi network though)

anything else I can offer advice on?
    Droid Incredible (4/29/10) -> TBolt (4/9/11) -> GNex (4/1/2012) > Droid Maxx (9/13/13)
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Thanks for the help.

Default just little cool app

wrong thread srry
    Last edited by icc4p2; 05-29-2010 at 06:17 PM. Reason: wrong thread