Unlocked vs Locked?!

eumakai

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
So this is my big dilemma (and I figure that someone here may be able to help me)

Do I want an unlocked phone or a locked one? What are the pluses and minuses?

I hate being locked into a 2 year contract - but the unlocked phone prices are steep as well. Is there a specific situation in which I would want to get either one?

I'm going to get a Samsung S2 - just not sure which way is better. If a contract - I'll need to wait until Oct 2012.... and right now I have a...well not a smartphone, not even a bright phone either...

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
So this is my big dilemma (and I figure that someone here may be able to help me)

Do I want an unlocked phone or a locked one? What are the pluses and minuses?

I hate being locked into a 2 year contract - but the unlocked phone prices are steep as well. Is there a specific situation in which I would want to get either one?

I'm going to get a Samsung S2 - just not sure which way is better. If a contract - I'll need to wait until Oct 2012.... and right now I have a...well not a smartphone, not even a bright phone either...

Well, one has to ask the question. Will I ever leave the confines of the States?

If it's a GSM phone, an unlocked device will offer the choice of using a Local SIM when travelling to different countries. This of course saves tons of money as getting a local SIM is cheap.

Also, it allows you to use a different provider when you move to a different state/location, where signal strength is less than desired.

Not to mention, an unlocked device is easier to sell, than a device locked to a specific network.

Yes, unlocked devices cost more. But you are not confined to a contract. Considering how most of the carriers do "bandwidth throttling" after a certain amount of download at 4(g), you'll do like most folks, and use Wifi eventually.

I think after a couple of years, you have paid about the same amount for your device, as an unlocked model (and it's still locked). Believe me, they may offer them cheap to begin with, but, they get their money eventually, and then some.

eumakai

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Well the truth is I don't travel out of the country often- and if I go out of the country I'd probably be going to S. Korea (where most phones don't use sim cards). But I think you are completely right - the thought of being locked in a contract again is just giving me a headache. I've decided - unlocked it is. Tonight I bein my quest to ebay bid a good price! =D

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Well the truth is I don't travel out of the country often- and if I go out of the country I'd probably be going to S. Korea (where most phones don't use sim cards). But I think you are completely right - the thought of being locked in a contract again is just giving me a headache. I've decided - unlocked it is. Tonight I bein my quest to ebay bid a good price! =D

When buying a used device, you should check the ESN numbers, with carriers, to make sure it is not stolen, or blocked. Do this before you buy the device. Always check the numbers. E-bay, tries to sell stolen or Blocked devices.

Also, some devices are sold here at AC. So, I would check there also.