Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How do you remove the Browser?

I'm trying to completely remove the Browser on an Android phone. How would you go about doing that?

The person doesn't want the option to be able to surf the web. It's a Christmas present for a child, so we don't want them running into anything.

I know you could download other Browsers from the Android market. Is there a way to block new browsers too?

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Default Re: How do you remove the Browser?

Quote Originally Posted by bluey2014 View Post
    I'm trying to completely remove the Browser on an Android phone. How would you go about doing that?

The person doesn't want the option to be able to surf the web. It's a Christmas present for a child, so we don't want them running into anything.

I know you could download other Browsers from the Android market. Is there a way to block new browsers too?
    First off welcome to the forums, and something like that would require some major technical surgery and even at that im not sure you can remove the browser altogether without causing some type of error.

you could try to use an application that would lock the browser application , making a password necessary to open it. but im not sure this would hold after the phone is rebooted the application may need to be opened again.

perhaps someone else has an idea.
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato

You'll need to root the phone if you want to remove any system apps such as the default browser.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    something like that would require some major technical surgery and even at that im not sure you can remove the browser altogether without causing some type of error.
    This is probably the case. I'm sure there is little market for removing the browser, so, I don't see why anybody would develop something like this.
    Troubleshooter

ROM
    Jiffy Pop Roots 3.47.114

If you install an app, like Titanium backup, it has the option to "freeze" an app. Again, not sure if you have to root to freeze system apps, but there's a free version to check it out.

You will need root to use Titanium backup.