Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default question about notifications

i apologize if this is a simple question, but i an looking for a way to have different notification sounds for emails and text messages. this is one thing i loved about my bb. please tell me there is a way to do this on android.
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

Default Re: question about notifications

Not that I know of. As far as I know, all notifications share the same sound. Unless you can set it within the app, I don't think it's possible.

Yes you can set different notification sounds for message, email, and calendar in addition to your default notification sound.

Go to personalize> notification sound
    Thanked by:
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

Where? What menu is personalize?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

i keep forgetting to look in the settings for each app. that is where it was. thanks!
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

Quote Originally Posted by piedrafina73 View Post
    i keep forgetting to look in the settings for each app. that is where it was. thanks!
    I used to forget to do this all the time. Any time you are looking to be able to change a setting, it's good to hit that button and check in the menus. I never really delved into the menus for my email, so, it was nice to see this in here. I just may change the sound for my email to distinguish them. Glad that his was posted!!

Also, don't forget to hit the Thanks button for repligator.

On a galaxy nexus - is there away to have notification sounds vary be sender? In other words can I have one sound for an email from work and another sound for an email from my wife?
    I use gmail and have them in groups such as family, work, weather, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief83 View Post
    On a galaxy nexus - is there away to have notification sounds vary be sender? In other words can I have one sound for an email from work and another sound for an email from my wife?
    I use gmail and have them in groups such as family, work, weather, etc.
    If you create filters in Gmail that apply labels to specific senders, you can then have the Gmail app use a different sound for each label. I'm not sure if creating the contact group automatically applies a label. You may be able to create a filter that does that. Play around with that to get the different labels you want.

Then in the Gmail app, go to Menu>More>Settings>(your account)>Sync inboxes and labels, and set the sync for each label you want. Once you have the labels syncing, go back one screen and scroll down to Labels to notify. There you will see each of the labels you're syncing. Tap the arrow next to each, enable the notification and select the ringtone you want.
    Thanked by: