Netgear Readyshare Android Access

repligator

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I posted this over at xda, but in the hopes of saving other Netgear Readyshare users some time

For anyone still trying to achieve netgear usb_storage readyshare access on their android device:

I am using ES File Explorer to access my hard drive (1.5TB) on my Wifi network (NetgearWNDR3400) using the FTP tab in ES File Explorer.

Login to the router 192 . 168 . 1 . 1 (for this model) on your pc or phone browser and enable the ftp access method under the usb storage advanced settings. Ive kept all-access no password for the time being.

In ES File Explorer you will add a new ftp server using 192 . 168 . 0 . 3/shares as the ftp server. check the anonymous box and make sure you are using port 21 then tap ok.

Your shared drive should now appear as "shares@ 192 . 168 . 0 . 3" in the FTP Servers window.

I was also able to see my shares using my phone browser (dolphin) by using http: / / readyshare . routerlogin . net / shares in the url, but this not as usefule as using ES File Explorer cut and paste files and folders.

Before getting this new router, I was sharing the drive over my network by using my Windows desktop as a server. The best part of this was that ES File Explorer would easily scan and find the server in the LAN Shares. The problem with this setup was that the desktop had to be on whenever I wanted access to my external drive over wifi and (because of DHCP on the router) the IP address was not exactly the same everyday because of multiple devices on the network.

All this can be done in Astro as well, but you'll need to download the smb module.

Sorry about the spaces in the urls. The forum would not let me post the "links" because of spam rules.

By the way, forgot to mention
the LAN Shares doesn't work because the HDD is formatted in FAT32 for Windows OS use. You would have to reformat your drive in ext3 for Linux use in order access it from your android device. Not a solution when you have hundreds of gigs of data on it already.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Yea, this is great info. I'll have to check this out this weekend. Is it possible to stream using this, or, do you have to physically copy the file? I like to stream media through my phone, but, some file types don't get recognized in the way that I'm sharing them now.

repligator

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Yea, this is great info. I'll have to check this out this weekend. Is it possible to stream using this, or, do you have to physically copy the file? I like to stream media through my phone, but, some file types don't get recognized in the way that I'm sharing them now.

Music streaming works great just using the ES File Explorer Music Player. You just have to multi-select all the songs within a folder you want to play, tap-and-hold one of the selected files, tap the music option, and then tap play.

Pictures are very easy.

Video is of course the difficult one when it comes to streaming on your android. I tested streaming a full length film from my readyshare to my laptop and it worked just fine with no problems. As you may have read in the reviews, the throughput on the usb storage on the router is slow (on the order of 10MB/s).

If you want to stream video on your phone I think you will still need to use VLC on your desktop with the paid version of VLC Direct Pro on your phone.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Music streaming works great just using the ES File Explorer Music Player. You just have to multi-select all the songs within a folder you want to play, tap-and-hold one of the selected files, tap the music option, and then tap play.

Pictures are very easy.

Cool, don't really stream music or pictures, but, good to know.

Video is of course the difficult one when it comes to streaming on your android. I tested streaming a full length film from my readyshare to my laptop and it worked just fine with no problems. As you may have read in the reviews, the throughput on the usb storage on the router is slow (on the order of 10MB/s).

If you want to stream video on your phone I think you will still need to use VLC on your desktop with the paid version of VLC Direct Pro on your phone.

I stream from my computer, so, that wont be an issue. I tried using VLC, was a pain. I use UPnPlay to stream media, but, it only works for some files types. If I recall, it'll only work for anything that Windows Media Player recognizes. I think that is the issue. I can play .avi, but, not .mkv. I had to convert my .mp4s to get around it. This was a while ago, but, I believe that was the gist of it.

Just tried ES. I swear I tried this before and it didn't work. I'll have to try and figure out what files I was having issues with before and see if I can get them to work. Either way, this seems like a good app and an improvement on my current method. Went through router to computer. Picks up the files real nice. The UI is good too. Seems like a good tool. Thanks for sharing. :D

toddya

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
For Samsung Galaxy SII users, it is as simple as opening Allshare on your phone, tap "Remote device" and then tap the "ReadyDLNA:DGND3700" (or whatever you renamed your Modem/Router. All the folders appear and away you go.