Locate My Phone

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I have a Droid Bionic and I want a free app that will help me locate my phone in case I lose it. I have texting blocked by Verizon so the app that I am looking to use should work from a web site to show the locating on a map.

I found Lookout Mobile Security which looks like a good app and is rated well. My concern is that it has other items included in the app like Antivirus: Block malware, spyware, and trojans. My concern is that I am not sure I need these items and that these features will slow down my phone and waste battery life.

I would appreciate your comments on this app if you use it.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I have a Droid Bionic and I want a free app that will help me locate my phone in case I lose it. I have texting blocked by Verizon so the app that I am looking to use should work from a web site to show the locating on a map.

I found Lookout Mobile Security which looks like a good app and is rated well. My concern is that it has other items included in the app like Antivirus: Block malware, spyware, and trojans. My concern is that I am not sure I need these items and that these features will slow down my phone and waste battery life.

I would appreciate your comments on this app if you use it.

Well, I tell you what. If you lose your phone, then somebody else has it. Probably turned it off, and removed the sim card. Matters not. As they will boot to Fastboot or recovery, and reflash a new OS, wiping away all your data, including any tracking software. And they will do it in less than 15 minutes.

Only dumb thieves will not know how to do it so quickly, and even they, do it from a moving car, bus, public transport, or a place that doesn't have cell signal.

2 things you may consider.

1. Theft insurance.
2. That little gizmo that you attach to your device, so that when you leave it behind, it starts chirping when you're 10 feet from it.

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I am sure that you are correct about smart thieves, but I also have some other uses for the app. If I misplace my phone the app would be helpful (although misplacing is low probability) and also I am a real estate agent and this is a security issue since I am in houses by myself and my wife could locate me if there is a problem.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I am sure that you are correct about smart thieves, but I also have some other uses for the app. If I misplace my phone the app would be helpful (although misplacing is low probability) and also I am a real estate agent and this is a security issue since I am in houses by myself and my wife could locate me if there is a problem.

Hence the "chirping" device, is you forget your phone.

I can tell you, if you leave it in a public place, 30 minutes later, it will be gone. Turned off. 99% of people, know to turn it off immediately. Heck, I'm not a thief, and I'm smart enough to know to turn it off if I wanted to steal a mobile.

If you have a problem, at a location, and cannot call, then nobody knows you have a problem. But, if you don't come home at night, well, houston, we have a problem. (and I'm not sure wether you want your wife to know where you are) ;)

But seriously,

I don't know about Lookout. But, I use AVG, and it has the tracking feature, and it uses a very small amount of battery. Maybe 2% for the day. It usually only runs active, when you download and install an app. As for tracking, it uses cell triangulation, and not GPS. So you don;t have to have GPS on all the time wasting battery power. It's accurate to within about 50 meters or so, as I have tested.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary