HOW-TO Compile ICS AOSP 4.0.3 (XOOM/GNEX/NEXUS S)

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Couldn't sleep so installing Ubuntu into my 2nd partition. =)
Edit: Mission accomplished, going to bed now that I've got it going with Windows 7. (20gig swap file ok?) See ya's in the morning and thanks again. (This Ubuntu is like a secret, seems like it could be a good system replacement)
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
visual for those who like this sort of thing... sorry its long... but this entire process is going to take you much much longer

Click to view quoted video

So "configuring sun-java6-bin" seems to be taking awhile, I goofed and closed it midway, so when I started terminal again and started using the commands it was nice enough to let me know I goofed up BUT then gave me some suggested commands to fix my mistake, really dug that. The video explains some info beginners wouldn't know, sudo = super user do, for example, I'd check it out at least once if your new to this like me.
Edit: I think I'm gonna be hitting each stumbling block on this journey, I had to go through packaging manager to fix the java.bin install o_O
Huge props to GBHIL on the OP!

Quick Question, is there a way to see/play with ICS in some type of emulator? Would this be something I can do with Ubuntu, jdk,???? Never mind, I figured it out..
Screenshot.png

Last edited:

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Almost done with GN AOSP flashable zip file here (and I don't even own one.. :-D) and I'm getting ready to do this with the Sprint Nexus (my brother has one). My last question here (don't believe it for a minute) is, how/can we update future AOSP builds? Would we have to do this dance all over again?

Screenshot-product%20-%20File%20Browser.png

(I got to come up with a plan to convince my brother I know what I'm doing) " Hey bro, I created this cool ICS AOSP flashable zip file that might brick your phone, wanna try it"?? =-D

Last edited:

mczimi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
I have an issue, after flashing the otapackage to my LTE Gnexus, i dont have any signal or data and the phone fails to activate

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I have an issue, after flashing the otapackage to my LTE Gnexus, i dont have any signal or data and the phone fails to activate

thats a known issue, a couple of posts down the OP is a link to a possible fix.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Snylter

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
for the life of me, I can't figure out how to get the repo to sync on my macbook... no matter what version of ubuntu is running, it errors out or freezes.... so its building on my core i7 now... started 7:28pm eastern.

I had the same problem with my virtual Ubuntu running in Windows..
It was because of NAT, when I switched the Network card to Brigded, this worked just fine!

makeotapackage-j4

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: HOW-TO Compile ICS AOSP (XOOM/GNEX/NEXUS S)

Jerry- First of all, this guide is really phenomenal. No joke. You really have a true knack for walking a beginner's mind through a seemingly chaotic procedure, and making it less intimidating by speaking direct, and on-level with the reader.(as opposed to some Internet tutorials, where an author is clearly writing in a format that serves their own ego, and couldn't care less how it might translate to someone a bit less savvy.)........ So thanks for the careful work and dedication you put in this. :)
To get to my point...I actually have a question.(this might shock those who know me around here, or from XDA, due to the fact that I have never really, formally asked for help, lol.)
I have successfully compiled ICS for the Crespo4g, and it built correctly, I believe.. however, I have a couple nagging "issues". The first and most important question I have is: The ota package that I built is very much like a CyanogenMod ota-flashable, in that it has included only the core OS/kernel.. Theres no Gapps of any kind, not even the market. Now, this isn't shocking to me, as I'm obviously familiar with the agreement between Google and CyanogenMod. What confuses me, is there doesn't appear to be an instruction set anywhere that explains how to compile a Gapps package separately,or how to compile and merge the official apks with the base OS package. I tried flashing the newest Gapps, however the market fails every time I attempt to update any google app, as well as most non-google apps too. If I had to guess, I'd assume that it's because the signatures are different between the Gapps and my personally signed build, therefore causing conflict. If thats the case..then we're brought back to my main question: Where do I get official google apks to merge into my build, and how can I do it?
Second question is small ;) ...My core build has everything working flawlessly within it, except for one stupid thing. The keyboard. Its spelling correction/suggestion setting does not work, no matter what. Everything is underlined in red, as if it were misspelled. I remember this being an issue around the time Kwiboo/Koush started pumping out their early, unofficial builds of ICS,and I think it was resolved pretty quickly. You have a Nexus S Jerry, and you ran the early ICS builds; Do you have any insight on this possibly being an error in my compiling, or do you think this is a native issue residing within the ICS source code? If anyone else has built AOSP ICS, and has had this problem, but fixed it, please give me a shout-out on how you achieved thats.
And those are my two gigantic questions....Any insight offered would be immensely appreciated! Thanks for reading my book! :p

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

Jerry- First of all, this guide is really phenomenal. No joke. You really have a true knack for walking a beginner's mind through a seemingly chaotic procedure, and making it less intimidating by speaking direct, and on-level with the reader.(as opposed to some Internet tutorials, where an author is clearly writing in a format that serves their own ego, and couldn't care less how it might translate to someone a bit less savvy.)........ So thanks for the careful work and dedication you put in this. :)
To get to my point...I actually have a question.(this might shock those who know me around here, or from XDA, due to the fact that I have never really, formally asked for help, lol.)
I have successfully compiled ICS for the Crespo4g, and it built correctly, I believe.. however, I have a couple nagging "issues". The first and most important question I have is: The ota package that I built is very much like a CyanogenMod ota-flashable, in that it has included only the core OS/kernel.. Theres no Gapps of any kind, not even the market. Now, this isn't shocking to me, as I'm obviously familiar with the agreement between Google and CyanogenMod. What confuses me, is there doesn't appear to be an instruction set anywhere that explains how to compile a Gapps package separately,or how to compile and merge the official apks with the base OS package. I tried flashing the newest Gapps, however the market fails every time I attempt to update any google app, as well as most non-google apps too. If I had to guess, I'd assume that it's because the signatures are different between the Gapps and my personally signed build, therefore causing conflict. If thats the case..then we're brought back to my main question: Where do I get official google apks to merge into my build, and how can I do it?
Second question is small ;) ...My core build has everything working flawlessly within it, except for one stupid thing. The keyboard. Its spelling correction/suggestion setting does not work, no matter what. Everything is underlined in red, as if it were misspelled. I remember this being an issue around the time Kwiboo/Koush started pumping out their early, unofficial builds of ICS,and I think it was resolved pretty quickly. You have a Nexus S Jerry, and you ran the early ICS builds; Do you have any insight on this possibly being an error in my compiling, or do you think this is a native issue residing within the ICS source code? If anyone else has built AOSP ICS, and has had this problem, but fixed it, please give me a shout-out on how you achieved thats.
And those are my two gigantic questions....Any insight offered would be immensely appreciated! Thanks for reading my book! :p

Not to discourage you from trying but if all else fails... http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...ks/143226-rom-aosp-4-0-3-updated-01-02-a.html

makeotapackage-j4

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site

Not quite what I'm looking for, lol; but nonetheless I appreciate the link, as I'm not one to turn down a good Beezy rom ;)
Seriously though, that's not discouraging at all. In fact, I'm very patiently working on this, and I'm just thankful that I even completed the core package with total success. Every time I get something right, it makes me wanna learn to do more&more. Now, I just need to learn how to tie it all up into a neat little package with all signing/key-usage compatibilities intact :)
Anyone who is willing to work with me would be appreciated beyond measure. I learn fast, and have other skills to offer.
Thanks!

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

Not quite what I'm looking for, lol; but nonetheless I appreciate the link, as I'm not one to turn down a good Beezy rom ;)
Seriously though, that's not discouraging at all. In fact, I'm very patiently working on this, and I'm just thankful that I even completed the core package with total success. Every time I get something right, it makes me wanna learn to do more&more. Now, I just need to learn how to tie it all up into a neat little package with all signing/key-usage compatibilities intact :)
Anyone who is willing to work with me would be appreciated beyond measure. I learn fast, and have other skills to offer.
Thanks!

I'm too lazy to read through some books available for us noobs but if it'll help others then .....

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11232883/Android Central/Android Application Development.pdf
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11232883/Android Central/android_a_programmers_guide.pdf
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11232883/Android Central/beginning.android.2-mar-2010.pdf
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11232883/An...ucing-googles-mobile-development-platform.pdf

Reactions: makeotapackage-j4

Snylter

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I've compiled an AOSP build (4.0.3) with Google apps and Market..
Now, I'm struggling with GPS, it simply doesn't work..
Any idea?

Is this a known issue?

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Not sure about the GPS... its working on my build. I'm hoping someone can tell me what I'm missing trying to access su... permission denied! I built full Toro user debug which includes su.. when it didn't work I flashed an su.zip which replaced the su and installs superuser.apk. bellow is the log at of when I attempt to access su:

E/su (17526): sudb - Opening database
E/su (17526): sudb - Database opened
E/su (17526): sudb - Database closed
V/alogcat (17464): resumed
I/ActivityThread(17551): Pub com.google.android.calendar.CalendarRecentSuggestionsProvider: com.android.calendar.CalendarRecentSuggestionsProvider
I/ActivityManager( 179): No longer want com.noshufou.android.su (pid 16895): hidden #16
E/su (17526): select failed with 2: No such file or directory
W/su (17526): request rejected (10073->0 /system/bin/sh)

I'm running an insecured
boot.img that I made from my compiled img which I know is working because I can now adb remount. Adb shell also shows I'm @root # or however its printed.. any help would be appreciated!

makeotapackage-j4

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I've compiled an AOSP build (4.0.3) with Google apps and Market..
Now, I'm struggling with GPS, it simply doesn't work..
Any idea?

Is this a known issue?
I'm still very new to building, however, I might be able to point you in the right direction. I have successfully contacted a couple extremely generous developers lately, in hopes of learning more about the post-compiling process, and I've learned a bit more.
In regards to your question: One thing I have learned more about, is the central importance of editing the build.prop file. Since I was compiling for a targeted build device, (the crespo4g) I was under the naive assumption that the build.prop would generated with everything I needed. I was wrong..
My suggestion for you, would be to download a fully working custom build of the most recent Toro release, if you don't have one available already. Open it up, and get the build.prop file from it..
Now, open your ROM in it's current state ,and get the build.prop from it as well. Have both build.props open side-by-side on your screen. I suggest you carefully study every difference between yours and the one from the known-working build. Think about each difference you find very carefully, and come to a conclusion about the reason for it.(ex. The date on the build.props is different..you can safely rule that out as something that needs changing, as it has no bearing on the functionality of your features :) ) The place where you're likely to find critical differences (if any) is towards the bottom of the build.prop. Are there any Google Maps permission lines written on it, that you don't have included on yours? Are there any "google-service" related permission lines on yours at all?
Start there- with the build.prop comparison, paying special attention to any lines that give permissions for a service. This task will likely reveal something of significance to you, and even if it doesn't- it will help rule out that possibility, and you can move onto another.
I hope this something I've said makes sense. :-\ lol. Post a reply on how that goes, if you think of it. It could help another reader.. Good luck! (seriously....s**t ain't easy, lol)

Snylter

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I will try this during the weekend :)
The weird thing is that the widget says the GPS is on, the same thing in the menu..
But all programs reports that GPS is off..

Thanks for your tip about this issue :)

Snylter

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I've tried to compare build.prop-files. (The original from stock 4.0.2 with the one from my AOSP)
I didn't find anything there that can explain why my gps is dead.

It works just fine in 4.0.2, but not in my aosp..
I've also tried to compile the aosp all over again, with the same result.. :(

Snylter

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I was told on xda that I need some files for the GPS and the Camera to work..
Any suggestions for where to find them? I've tried some googling..

Snylter

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I'm then running AOSP 4.0.3 with everything working just fine

I extracted the drivers from the phone as instructed at this webpage:
http://www.franziroesner.com/blog/20...-galaxy-nexus/

I did a build with the proprietary binaries and the google binaries first.

Then I extracted GAPPS in to the correct place in the out-folder by using the script in the package in a slightly modified version for my system.
I put the Market.apk in to /out/target/product/maguro/system/app
I put the Superuser.apk in the same location.

I put su in to /out/target/product/maguro/system/xbin

I then did a make snod

Finally, I made an zip-file for use with fastboot, and flashed my phone.

This gave me a fully functional 4.0.3 with root :)

jaydorsey

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I just finished building on my MBP in a VM running Ubuntu 10.04LTS. It took about 45 mins, which I thought was shockingly fast (maybe not since the VM has 4GB of my RAM and a 16GB swap). If you are a Mac user and want to build in MacOS - don't... seriously, save yourself a night and just set up a dual boot or a VM.

I have a question though, I got the build working with a data connection but the camera isn't working. I learned so far that it requires a proprietary driver that isn't open sourced, so what should I be looking for to get that piece working?