Open Letter to Editor and Other Smart People

scarletspider

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I am a north west Florida man myself, Panama City and I enjoy much of your opinions and writings here at Android Central. Now I'm done kissing @$$, my BIG question is I'm ready to either drop $650. plus tax or $299. and resign a 2 year contract (after not having a contract for over 1 year..I hate contracts) to get the next great smart phone. The problem is that's a lot of bread to spend and I'm not happy over the Nexus camera reviews or the lack of external mem, but love that its a nexus device. OR There is the Rezound which in every way seams superior to the Nexus except its not a nexus device. The third option is to wait for the fabled quad-core phones to come out hopefully by the end of first quarter or in second quarter next year. Its a lot of money and am not asking you to tell me what to do but to tell me if there is something I'm not accounting for in my breakdown. *please tell me your secret spies have reported a nexus quad-core is coming out in Feb so my decision will be an easy one*

mstroud

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
The answer of the "correct device" to purchase is a highly individualized one, so I don't know if anyone can tell you definitively to get one model/manufacturer versus another one.

My personal experience has shown that no matter what, I want an authorized "full Google Android" experience device, so I ended up with the Galaxy Nexus. The determining factor for me was having spent the last year with a Motorola Droid X that Motorola neither wanted to support or update. Trying to root the Droid X was a lesson in patience and trying to keep it booted (from many, many reboots and crashes) after Gingerbread was a nightmare.

Root is easy on Google experience devices. Access to OS updates is straightforward and moving back and forth between ROMs is cake. Since app development is done with my device it was important to have all of this flexibility, and the option of putting custom everything on the device at some point is also a huge draw. There is plenty of on-board memory, so not having SD cards wasn't a minus for me.

If the camera is you main criteria you may need to keep looking. But if you want support and longevity, I don't think you can do any better than the Galaxy Nexus. That's my $0.02.