1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Use calendar while on the phone - ICS

Hi, I'm just wondering if it is possible with ICS to use the calendar to make entries while on the phone.
    I use the headset so viewing the screen isn't a problem.

Atm the screen goes black while I'm talking so I can't navigate anywhere.

Maybe there's an ap?

Any tips are much appreciated thank you.
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

Default Re: Use calendar while on the phone - ICS

I don't have ICS, I have GB, and I am able to use the stock calendar app on my X2 while on a phone call. Just tested it with my X2. I know you are talking about ICS, but, I would hope/assume the functionality would still be there.

What action are you performing when the screen goes black? Trying to open your calendar?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I'm just talking on the phone and the screen goes dark. The only way to get it lit up again is to press the on/off button on the side and this disconnects the call. Even before the screen darkens there is no way of navigating to the calendar. So much for multi tasking. When you use the phone it is just a phone!
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

Quote Originally Posted by scotchmonster View Post
    I'm just talking on the phone and the screen goes dark. The only way to get it lit up again is to press the on/off button on the side and this disconnects the call. Even before the screen darkens there is no way of navigating to the calendar. So much for multi tasking. When you use the phone it is just a phone!
    Wuh? Pushing the on off button disconnects the call?

I'll have to connect my headset and see what happens when I leave it sit there (my bluetooth is dead, since I don't use it, charging now and will post an update later). Don't usually use the headset, and, I'm used to the screen going dark when I put the phone up to my face. What type of phone do you have?

While in a call, if you press the home button, you can get back to your launcher and the call will go up into the notification area. I believe the notification area also flashes green or something like that You can then pretty much do anything on your phone. Give that a shot, should work for ya.

Once you got that sorted out, we can work on the screen going dark. That is just weird.
    Last edited by Devinator; 01-06-2012 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Realized OP is using a headset.
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

Quote Originally Posted by Devinator View Post
    Wuh? Pushing the on off button disconnects the call?

I'll have to connect my headset and see what happens when I leave it sit there (my bluetooth is dead, since I don't use it, charging now and will post an update later). Don't usually use the headset, and, I'm used to the screen going dark when I put the phone up to my face. What type of phone do you have?

While in a call, if you press the home button, you can get back to your launcher and the call will go up into the notification area. I believe the notification area also flashes green or something like that You can then pretty much do anything on your phone. Give that a shot, should work for ya.

Once you got that sorted out, we can work on the screen going dark. That is just weird.
    Okay, I tested it with a buddy at my office. My phone timed out and the screen went black, but, when I hit the power button, it just woke the phone up. It did not disconnect the call. I wonder if that is intended with your phone, or, if it's malfunctioning. I can't think of where there would be a setting for that.

However, you can also use the home button to turn your screen back on (at least I can with my phone, X2). If my phone is locked I can either push the power button, or, press the home button. Both function identically and bring up the unlock slider. So, give that a shot, hope that helps!!

Global Posts
    4,722 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock

On some phones, there is an option to disconnect the call with the power button. You might want to check phone settings and see if this can be turned off. Also, try pressing on the volume buttons and see if the screen wakes up. On my SGS, I use the calendar and notes app while on calls all the time.
    RuneCryption - Unique memory puzzle game for Android. ( Google Play - Amazon Appstore )

Was on the phone w/ the wifey earlier and had to do exactly what you're asking...on my GNex all I did was push the back button to get to home screen and launched/used the calendar.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

OK, I found a setting that stops the power button from disconnecting the calls which is a start.
    However in ICS on the Nexus handset there is no home button whilst in the handset mode and therefore no way of using the calendar. This makes it fairly useless for business use as I only speak to make meetings usually!
    Any help around this would be much appreciated

OK, I found a setting that stops the power button from disconnecting the calls which is a start.
    However in ICS on the Nexus handset there is no home button whilst in the handset mode and therefore no way of using the calendar. This makes it fairly useless for business use as I only speak to make meetings usually!
    Any help around this would be much appreciated
    There is a home button whilst in the handset mode. You can still see three dimly lit buttons (dots) right beneath the red hangup button. This is also consistent with how honeycomb handles the on screen capacitive buttons in some apps. Hope this helps.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Thankyou Drew, I would never have found that!

Thankyou Drew, I would never have found that!
    You're welcome. Of course, the smarter way of doing this would be to have the calendar app up and running first before making a phone call. This way you can just tap the multitasking button mid-phonecall to access it quickly.