Can't remove Default App setting for Google Maps Navigation

ackthbbft

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I have started using Waze for my GPS navigation needs. The problem is, I had previously told my phone to use Google Maps Navigation (or simply "Navigation", the one with the blue arrow icon, instead of the other option at the time which was TeleNav GPS Navigator), but I can't seem to remove that default app setting.

I have gone to Settings->Applications->Manage Applications->All to look for the Navigation app and clear "Launch by Default" setting, but it does not appear in the list of apps at all.

Is this a thing about Google apps, that they are kept hidden and forever locked into being your default app once you tell it so? I thought maybe it was part of the regular Google Maps app, but the setting there says there are no defaults set to be cleared.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I just looked through everything and couldn't find anything either.

I was in a similar situation in the past, where I wanted some 3rd party app to be used as the default instead of a stock app. If I recall, I ended up clearing the defaults in the 3rd party app and I was prompted next time to chose a default app to use. You could try clearing out the defaults in Waze. I have no idea if it'll work, just a thought.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Google's Navigation app is built into Maps, kind of like a two in one package. You may want to try clearing the defaults in Maps and see if that helps you.

I don't use Waze, but I looked at it and it sounds interesting. I drive for a living and have a stand alone GPS specific to my needs, but I may check Waze out at some point. How heavy is it on data usage?

Christie v

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I have a Samsung galaxys4. Go to settings - application manager and select the default navigation app. Scroll down and click 'clear default' button.

Shannon Harris3

Nov 10, 2017
Visit site
I am also looking for help making waze default app on Google pixel2 XL. I have set waze to be the default in the application mgr and cleared any defaults in Google maps (even tried to completely disable Google maps) so when selecting either a Google calendar location or chrome link it either launches maps or asks to use maps, Uber nav, Lyft nav, chrome, or LastPass... I do not get to choose waze at all.
I have tried a default app mgr app from the play store...using this i can set waze as default but Google maps still launches. I have submitted a ticket/logs to waze but has anyone seen this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171110-130153.jpg
    Screenshot_20171110-130153.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc