Is there a specific reason why Android devices don't have...

bergeronjc#WN

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Is there a specific reason why Android powered devices don't have more than 1GB of RAM?

Now this isn't a complaint about how my phone isn't fast enough. I have a Galaxy S 2 an it's blazing fast, I'm just curious.

Does the OS not support more than 1GB right now or are manufacturers just being cheap?

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Presently is there a need for more? It is not even that common other than newer high end android phones to even have 1gig of ram.

bergeronjc#WN

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
That's not what I'm asking. I don't care that they don't come with more.

I've been looking at all the phones and tablets that got announced and none have more than 1GB of RAM. I'm just curious as to why. Is it an OS limitation or just more cost effective by using just 1GB?

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
That was my point with my response... software and hardware evolve not make huge jumps, it's more incremental (the same thing that has historically happened with the PC market). Last years Nexus S only had 512meg of ram... this years nexus has 1gig (and those are the refence hardware for each respective new android version)

Reactions: bergeronjc#WN

Cellmeister

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Good question.

Probably price & most people don't install 100 apps on their phones.

Another question will be if ICS will better use the RAM & have less fragmentation in the real world not just on paper.

I for 1 would want more RAM.

The Quad Cores are coming out so we will see if there is more RAM in those devices.

I'm keeping an eye out on CES show, but many full specs have not been posted yet.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
The limitation for RAM will be based off how many bits Android is. I can't tell you how many it is, but, with 32 bit operating system you are sorta limited to 2 GBs of RAM due to addressing. However, there was a way in XP to get 4 GB of ram, however, each program could only ever access 2 GBs of RAM, again, due to addressing.

Even with 64 bit Windows 7, most of your applications can only use tops 2 GB of ram because they aren't programed in 64 bit. They end up in your x86 Program Files. Only 64 bit programs end up in your regular Program Files.

If someone knows how many bit Android is, there is your "limitation." I put it in quotes because of the way they were able to get around it in some ways in XP, as I mentioned above.

As far as why phones have as much RAM in them as they currently do, I'd say it's because of keeping cost down, as well as there probably isn't really a need at this point. You can't do much multi tasking on your phone, so, you really only need enough to cover whatever app you are actively running, any apps you are running in the background, in addition to all of the services running.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
What? I have like 170 apps, but I do have a 32gb sd card. What can I say? Amazon just keeps giving away those apps:p

Haha, while I'm with ya on the Amazon App Store, I don't usually install the app. I just "purchase" it for free so that I have access to it in the future if I want it. I don't have my phone near me, but, I don't think I have any where near 100 apps that I have personally installed. I'm all about the daily Amazon free app though. :D

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
So true. I've downloaded 150+ apps from Amazon and use only about 10...One day I'll have use for those others...

If you don't use them you don't have to install them. Once you make the "purchase" of the free app, you can install it whenever. It stays in your account under My Apps --> New and you can install it whenever you want. I do the download, then when it asks to install, I select Cancel. I have 161 free apps attached to my account from the daily app that if I ever decide I want to install, I can. I don't want to bog down my phone with an app if I don't know if I'm going to use it.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Haha, while I'm with ya on the Amazon App Store, I don't usually install the app. I just "purchase" it for free so that I have access to it in the future if I want it. I don't have my phone near me, but, I don't think I have any where near 100 apps that I have personally installed. I'm all about the daily Amazon free app though. :D

I too don't keep them all on my phone at one time, but I usually download them when I buy them. Then I give them a chance to prove their worth. If not, to the scrAPP pile! (see what I did there?:p)

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Are there any mobile devices with more than 1GB of space for applications to run? Many of the other high-end devices have 512MB. Even the iPhone and WP7 devices don't break the 1GB mark.

Sent from my gTablet using Tapatalk.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Presently is there a need for more? It is not even that common other than newer high end android phones to even have 1gig of ram.
Take a look at the Phone Comparison. It compares 14 higher end Android phones against the iPhone 4S and the Windows Titan.

All 14 Android in the Phone Comparison have 1GB of RAM, some are nearly a year old. You have to go back farther to find ones with less than 1GB of RAM. That is a full generation ago in phone time.

Presently is there a need for more [RAM]?

Yes! The OS is getting more complex with each iteration. The phones not making the cut for ICS are the low memory models. Jelly Bean will be even more of a memory hog.

Plus, there are endless games and apps to try out.

Why trap yourself with an outdated "free" phone? Over a two year contract, you will spend nearly $2000. Spend the extra couple hundred bucks and get the one you want, one that can be upgraded.

You are agreeing to use this phone every day, all day for 730 days. It's worth 30 cents a day to get the one you want. Life's short. Don't sell out for 30 cents.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I too don't keep them all on my phone at one time, but I usually download them when I buy them. Then I give them a chance to prove their worth.

I'd give them a chance, but, I don't have time to try every free app every day. It just gets overwhelming, hehe. But, I make the purchase in hopes that one day I will have the time.

If not, to the scrAPP pile! (see what I did there?:p)

Hahaha, clutch. See what I did there sounds like something right out of Family Guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton