applying different ringtones for different contacts

DawnGP143

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
OK...I've figured out that part. What I'm having trouble with is making MY ringtones show up in the ringtones list. I've put them in the /media/audio/ringtones folder, but they will not show up on my phone!!! I tried putting them in the /notifications folder to see if they would show up there, and they did...but I cannot get them to show in the ringtones list on my phone. Please help someone!!!!! Oh and yes, I have rebooted the phone several times.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
have you tried just putting them in /ringtones without all the other folders above it?

or maybe just ringtone ?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
All I do it go into music (where my ringtones download to) and select them as a ring tone. After that they will show up in the ring tone list then just change your ring tone back.

cmysho

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
no ring option ???

Is there an option to assign certain numbers to not ring.....or is straight to voicemail the only option ???

fdossantos

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
yes, you click on the contact, menu, options, and then it will show the ringtone as an option

I've been hunting the web for the last 45min to learn how to assign a ringtone to a contact. Everything I find suggests what's quoted above, with the wording being a varied from post to post. But every time I try suggested steps, there's always something missing.

In this example it suggests that I select the contact, select menu, select options . . .and this is where I get stuck: An "Options" selection is unavailable! There's an "Edit" option which DOES NOT give me a field for ringtones.

Here's my setup: Virgin Mobile Samsung Intercept; Android 2.1 (unrooted); contacts are synced over from Gmail.

Plz help. It shouldn't be this hard to assign a ringtone to a contact.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I've been hunting the web for the last 45min to learn how to assign a ringtone to a contact. Everything I find suggests what's quoted above, with the wording being a varied from post to post. But every time I try suggested steps, there's always something missing.

In this example it suggests that I select the contact, select menu, select options . . .and this is where I get stuck: An "Options" selection is unavailable! There's an "Edit" option which DOES NOT give me a field for ringtones.

Here's my setup: Virgin Mobile Samsung Intercept; Android 2.1 (unrooted); contacts are synced over from Gmail.

Plz help. It shouldn't be this hard to assign a ringtone to a contact.

Gmail and Corporate exchange do not have fields for storing a ringtone.

But numbers created on the phone, DO have a field for a ringtone.

So, for the people that you want to have custom tones, create a NEW contact, save it to PHONE, not Google. Simply put in the name of the person, and the ringtone that you want (the field should be there for a PHONE contact). In the menu you should see a "link contact" function. Find the original contact and link it to the one that you created.

This is a bit of a workaround. but since the databases in the 'cloud' don't have a field for the ringtone, it is about the best you can do.

zuben el genubi

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
What format can you use for ringtones? I've been using MID for years. They are usually so small you don't have to shorten them. A 4 minute song can be under 17k so the phone just stops. I don't see MID mentioned although I have seen AAC. I can convert.

I use MID as we had a figure skater. You could not compete with a vocal unless it was interpretive. I would have loved to have these when she was skating.

Z

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
What format can you use for ringtones? I've been using MID for years. They are usually so small you don't have to shorten them. A 4 minute song can be under 17k so the phone just stops. I don't see MID mentioned although I have seen AAC. I can convert.

I use MID as we had a figure skater. You could not compete with a vocal unless it was interpretive. I would have loved to have these when she was skating.

Z

Here is a list of supported media formats: Android Supported Media Formats | Android Developers

zuben el genubi

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. That list was not in the phone blurb. I had been checking all the specs of the i5800, and all that was mentioned was the most commonly used. I couldn't find any in depth specs.
Z

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Edit the contact, then access the menu and choose options. This is, of course, assuming that your device doesn't have a UI that differs.

It shouldn't be this hard to assign a ringtone to a contact.
It's not. You just haven't gone far enough. If you don't like this approach there are apps, IIRC, that might be easier to use.

Gmail and Corporate exchange do not have fields for storing a ringtone.
I can assign custom ringtones to my natively synced gmail and Exchange contacts.

What format can you use for ringtones? I've been using MID for years. They are usually so small you don't have to shorten them. A 4 minute song can be under 17k so the phone just stops.
4 minutes? What carrier offers ring lengths exceeding 30 seconds?

IIRC, MIDI was supported on the Droid until one of the updates. I've never cared for the synthesized quality of MIDI files and current devices have ample storage. Of course, YMMV.

zuben el genubi

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
They don't. The ring for incoming messages will keep up for more than 30 seconds, though.
It used to be that mp3 files were too big to use as ringtones unless you cut them to a certain time or file size. The MID files, being so small to begin with, did not have to be cut. The phone would only ring for a set time.
Now some phones just ask if you want to use song as ringtone.

Plus the MID files were easier to put into an old LG phone on Verizon. You had to use BitPim.

Z

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood