Help Me Decide: EVO 4G or Nexus One

willxcore

May 17, 2010
Visit site
First hand, sorry if this is in the wrong spot.

For the past few weeks I've been really on the fence about switching from my Palm Pre to an Android phone. A number of factors have pretty much made me confident that Android will be a better platform to back than webOS (unfortunately, I love webOS and backed it from announcement). Namely, the I|O conference with all the cool stuff they announced, and the recent BS coming from the HP CEO about not focusing on smartphones.

So my dilemma is this: Do I stay on Sprint and get an EVO 4G? Or do I switch to AT&T to get a Nexus One?

I would much prefer to have a "flagship" device that is going to get more official support and represent the "Google experience" as opposed to Sense UI whipped up by HTC. I know I can install FroYo on the EVO but I'd really like to keep things as untouched as possible. I'm somewhat of a purist and haven't even installed any tweaks on my Pre because I like running a stock experience.

I'm kind of worried about a Nexus Two coming out soon and making my 500 purchase seem like a waste in only a few months but it seems there hasn't been much talk of that so maybe I don't have too much to worry about in that department.

I would like to be able to use data and voice at the same time (on 3G, I know EVO will do this on 4G, even though it isn't available in NYC yet) and I'd like to not be stuck in a contract. These make AT&T seem like an attractive option for me as opposed to Sprint.

The only reasons I might want to stay with Sprint and the EVO are loyalty to Sprint because I think they're a pretty decent carrier and I like the experience I've had with them so far, and the fact that the EVO has the best specs of pretty much any phone ever (AFAIK), plus the front facing camera might make for some awesome future apps. However, I think the EVO is one hell of an ugly phone and the Nexus is very nice looking.

OK, based on all that info maybe some of you guys can give me a hand in making a decision. Thanks in advance.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Posting on a forum site doesn't guarantee replies.

You didn't mention coverage at all. Always consider coverage where you need it first.

IMO "loyalty" to a corporation is misplaced. No corporation is going to reciprocate.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
If you want a N1, your choices are AT&T or TMO. Being on AT&T would give you the same issues many iPhone users have with dropped calls.

TMO has a much smaller network, make sure they have coverage in your area.

If you have Sprint and like the service/coverage, I would say stick with them.

As far as waiting for the next phone, the new 1.5GHz Snapdraggon chip is supposed to be coming to Android phones this fall. If you can wait, wait. Besides, I am sure HTC and Moto will want to respond to whatever Apple unleashes on Monday ;)