Asus eee Pad Transformer Prime for a Student?

lsutigers23

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
So I have been looking into laptops to use for high school. i was attracted to the Prime because it seemed to have what I want in terms of an Android tablet but still what I need for school. I want to know if this will be suitable for me if I have a dock with it, or should I look into a laptop. I'm looking for the ability to sufficently: research, browse the web, create word documents, create power points, email, and overall hold all of my stuff. I need something durable (will last at least 3 years), and functional. Also, I have heard that you can use things like Double Twist to synch your music with your desktop. Will I be forced to use an app like this or can I dowload iTunes onto my tablet just like onto a laptop? My finial question is what apps aren't on an Android tablet that are on an iPad? Thanks in advance, I appreciate your help.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Tablets suck for that there good only for games and streaming videos n music. Get a real laptop.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

SnyperX

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
The laptop will be more stable oddly enough, faster and overall far better performance for normal tasks. Having a touchpad/mouse is also quite nice. Though for simple not taking and probably even a fair bit of typing, the tablet would be fine.

For making presentations and stuff, I bet you'll find having more comfortable and normal controls of a laptop far better and easier than a tablet with a keyboard. Some of the newer tablets are pretty nice, but they are still far lower performers compared to a normal laptop. Now if you were to consider a netbook, then that would be a much closer comparison.

As for syncing music, there is no iTunes for Android, there are programs that I believe work with it sort of to make that happen. Doubletwist is the closest alternative for that from a look and use standpoint. I personally still use iTunes to organize and manage my music on my computer, but just drag and drop the music I want as I find myself using Google Music a lot more that I thought I would.

Most of the "big" apps you find for iOS you will also find for Android, so it's really hard to say what is missing from one or the other. I'm sure there are lots missing from both sides for specific apps, but I also bet there are 10 other alternative apps that perform the same function.

So as Moosc saic, he's pretty much right.

Reactions: lsutigers23

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Try doing spread sheets or modify pdfs or run secure sights with active X not happening. A tablet apple or android is really just a large phone. There are some nice ultra books or even small laptops 12 inch screen. Rumor has it windows 8 tablet will b able to do every thing as a laptop but it will b expensive and still not out yet.

lsutigers23

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I know this is an Android forum but could a Macbook Air be a possible alternative to a tablet then? I like how thin it is but will it still be hardy enough to handel serious work, unlike a tablet?

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Maybe this fall on windows8. The mac laptop would b good. I'm not apple so I havent a clue how they work but I do recall they can do pretty much any thing a pc can do.

Doc

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
If you are a student you should be aware that it is easier to print from a laptop than from any tablet..

Doc

lsutigers23

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
@Doc

Yes, I suppose it would be but I assume that will become an integeral part of having a desktop in the future. Emailing then printing from a desktop.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc