1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Droid x battery ballooning out, won't fit in phone

Hey all. So the problem is as follows: I have two droid x's. I took the battery out of my backup and it's puffing out from both sides, as if it were filled like a balloon. I can't get it to fit inside either droid and properly close the case. The second phone has been sitting for about a month without being used or charged back up. Does anyone have a clue as to what could cause this?
    KJX

ROM
    OTA Gingerbread

Default Re: Droid x battery ballooning out, won't fit in phone

May not be exactly your issue, but I have an original X myself, and about a month ago mine started doing something similar, then on day I heard a pop and low and behold my batttery had exploded.

Your situation is much more extreme than mine it would appear, but I would dispose of those batteries right away, especially before the insides of that battery come out and ruin your phone(s).
    Moto Razer --> LG Venus --> Moto Q9c --> Moto DROID X --> Moto Droid 4

Quote Originally Posted by Rcappar View Post
    Hey all. So the problem is as follows: I have two droid x's. I took the battery out of my backup and it's puffing out from both sides, as if it were filled like a balloon. I can't get it to fit inside either droid and properly close the case. The second phone has been sitting for about a month without being used or charged back up. Does anyone have a clue as to what could cause this?

WARNING! Do Not use Any Swollen Device Battery or Force Fit It!

If Any device or non-device battery is swollen, leaking, enlarging means it is NG!

Replace the batt ASAP! It is a fire / explosion hazard! See U-Tube Vids on exploding lithium batteries.

See for info on charging, how they work, basic & advance info, charging, general good info, etc

Yes even new batts cells can go defective fast!

Do Not Charge, DisCharge Or Use Any Altered, Swollen, Leaking Battery!

I suggest with sticking with OEM Batts as well, usually a 1 year warranty on them if you buy from an authorized seller, but check with seller & feedback 1st.

Please dispose of the old batt properly (not the trash can)

Last edited by Cellmeister; 01-28-2012 at 01:26 PM. Reason: link

Whereas the above comment has some truth, its not a stop drop and roll emergency. Yes you wanna replace the battery asap, but I've had swollen batteries before and they've never spontaneously combust during normal charging/use. What I'm saying is, don't freak out thinking your phone is going to explode at any moment just replace the battery and be sure to properly dispose of the swollen pack.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Odds are that your battery, or charger, is defective or counterfeit as well.

Personally I'd pull that battery out right now and get rid of it,because the swelling indicates internal damage to be followed in many cases by fire and explosion.

There have been MANY documented cases of cell phone batteries catching fire or exploding during the night while the owner was sleeping in the same room. Who wants to take any chance, no matter how small it is, that the battery which is already visibly defective is going to catch fire while you are sleeping?

Burn debridement can be so painful that even morphine doesn't ease the pain. This is what you are gambling with when you KNOW that battery is already defective. Get rid of it and don't look back.

--Rred

ROM
    CM7.2.0-RC0 Galaxy5 Port

Quote Originally Posted by Rcappar View Post
    I used a phone with a battery like the one you described for months! It was impossible to place the back cover 'cause it didn't fit anymore.. but to be honest, if only I knew that there was the possibility it could exploded I wouldn't have used it one minute more!!! Oh my God my beautiful face!!!
    Anyway, as I sad, I uses it for a lot of time.. since I bought a new phone, so maybe it still could be able to work.. but if you can, change it immediately..

{ brvsn ~ CM7 on GT-I5500 ~ Tapatalk }
    Last edited by brainvision; 01-30-2012 at 05:09 AM.