Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Do all Android phones have lock-up problems?

    Hi, I have had a smartphone for about a year -- a Samsung Continuum. It locks up very often and is often completely unreliable as a phone (whenever I really need to make a call it locks up). I have been looking for a new phone due to this problem but every review I read for Android phones at least some people complain of the same problem. Do all Android phones lock up all the time? Or is it just my Continuum or just Samsung?

    I can't really afford an iPhone and I don't really want to go back to a non-smartphone but if it doesn't work as a phone than it isn't really fulfilling its' main intended purpose. I am very frustrated. A Verizon employee suggested I un-install any task killer and anti-virus apps, which I have done but I am still having problems (although it is somewhat improved).
  2. #2  
    olorin's Avatar

    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

    Default Re: Do all Android phones have lock-up problems?

    All smart phones (even the iPhone) freeze at some point. But, what you are reporting is not normal, except on lower end older phones. Is your internal memory more than 80% full? This can cause performance issues. Also, if you haven't done so, try a factory reset. I'm assuming you are not rooted... if you are, then there is a host of other possibilities. I've all also had 3rd party widgets significantly slow things down. Also, Samsung makes good phones, but I've had quality issues with their non-Galaxy lines.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Do all Android phones have lock-up problems?

    I have the Samsung Stratosphere and mine doesn't lock up on me!
  4. #4  
    CuriousNoob's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,592 Posts
    ROM
    Reflash Miui every2-3days

    Default

    I don't think anti virus helps at all. Just more bloatware. Maybe try a factory reset, after backing up stuff you want, then install a task killer.

    Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Do all Android phones have lock-up problems?

    then install a task killer.
    Jesus....don't do this. Will the task-killer thing ever die? Don't install one. Hasn't been needed for several versions of Android now, but yet people keep posting it.
  6. #6  
    pazzo02's Avatar

    Posts
    1,031 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

    Default Re: Do all Android phones have lock-up problems?

    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonkey View Post
    Jesus....don't do this. Will the task-killer thing ever die? Don't install one. Hasn't been needed for several versions of Android now, but yet people keep posting it.
    +1
    We've beat this dead horse so much, it came back to life!
  7. #7  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: Do all Android phones have lock-up problems?

    Quote Originally Posted by pazzo02 View Post
    +1
    We've beat this dead horse so much, it came back to life!
    everything that is old eventually becomes new again. don't put a task killer on.

    my phone may lock up once a month, and usually i can point to the app i just installed (games mostly) as the culprit
  8. #8  
    Devinator's Avatar
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

    Posts
    4,373 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

    Default Re: Do all Android phones have lock-up problems?

    Quote Originally Posted by dlbritt View Post
    Hi, I have had a smartphone for about a year -- a Samsung Continuum. It locks up very often and is often completely unreliable as a phone (whenever I really need to make a call it locks up).
    Do a factory reset.

    If that doesn't fix the problem, contact Verizon again about getting a new phone. If the phone isn't that old, I'd just return it and get some other cheap/free model. If it is old, still contact Verizon and try and get them to rectify the situation. Tell them you have done what they requested, and, it's not working, and, that you want them to do something about it.

    If that doesn't get you anything, contact the manufacturer next and demand they take care of it.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Do all Android phones have lock-up problems?

    Quote Originally Posted by olorin View Post
    All smart phones (even the iPhone) freeze at some point. But, what you are reporting is not normal, except on lower end older phones. Is your internal memory more than 80% full? This can cause performance issues. Also, if you haven't done so, try a factory reset. I'm assuming you are not rooted... if you are, then there is a host of other possibilities. I've all also had 3rd party widgets significantly slow things down. Also, Samsung makes good phones, but I've had quality issues with their non-Galaxy lines.
    iPhone's barely freeze atleast my 4 does not. If they do they reboot themselves. In two years I have only had three freezes. Android phones freeze alot google it and tell me it does not happen. Android is the windows xp of phones lol.
  10. #10  
    Devinator's Avatar
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

    Posts
    4,373 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

    Default Re: Do all Android phones have lock-up problems?

    I have never had my X2 freeze and have only had it reboot a handful of times in the 10 months I've had it. Never had XP freeze on me either and I ran XP forever. Probably for close to ten years. I will say you had to reinstall every year or two because you'd get that error where it couldn't boot. But, it was still a good operating system, and so is android.
  11. #11  
    gxgs's Avatar

    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts

    Default Re: Do all Android phones have lock-up problems?

    Quote Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
    iPhone's barely freeze atleast my 4 does not. If they do they reboot themselves. In two years I have only had three freezes. Android phones freeze alot google it and tell me it does not happen. Android is the windows xp of phones lol.
    The SGS2 does not . Besides, there is a difference between a plain homescreen and one that can have widgets. There is also a difference between freezing apps nearly all the time once you switch to another and the ability to have any number of applications actively running without being frozen. There is also a difference between an operating system where the UI has priority over any other process, and one where the UI is not treated specially. There is also a difference between an operating system that needs a desktop companion to manage it files or debug itself and one that can do it by itself with not windows applications.

    May be the windows xp of phones in your eyes, but i can at least run teamviewer switch to the memopad, come back to teamviewer and still have it connected to a computer instead of having dropped the connection because the OS froze it. If there are random lock ups, its because of processes in the background sucking the cpu, and its not even system processes or legit 3rd party apps, but mostly carrier bloatware or 3rd party bloatware, like for example, crappy applications pushing ads over the air.

    Anyways, just because it doesn't freeze on you doesnt mean it doesnt freeze. I've already had my iphone 4 lag when using the virtual keyboard, or freeze in the browser, or when opening large spreadsheets.

Posting Permissions

B