Samsung Galaxy S 4G Won't Connect to Computer

harlequinlove

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
This is driving me CRAZY! I've read so many different forums on this and haven't found anythinggggg that helps. I'm trying to get my phone to connect to the computer, so I can put music on it. But when I plug it in, all it does is charge. I've already tried to change the USB settings, so that it would pull Mass Storage, and it wouldn't do anything after the fact. The computer has no notification pop up when I plug it in. I'm going nuts here! And I only have two days to do this because I have a long trip ahead and I'm trying to sync music to it. Please help;.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure why it's not connecting, especially since you selected mass storage.

As a work around, you can take your SD card out, and, use a card reader. It might mount properly that way. you may need an adapter if you only have a standard SD card reader. Or, if you don't have a card reader, you can pick them up for like $8 on Newegg, or, probably Amazon. But, sounds like you need this ASAP, so, you could always go to Best Buy or something and pick one up.

This is the one I have:

Amazon.com: Transcend P5 9-in-1 USB 2.0 Flash Memory Card Reader TS-RDP5K (Black): Electronics

Additionally, have you tried connecting your phone to a different computer to determine if it's a problem with your phone or if the problem is with your computer? If you can connect to another computer, you know the problem is with your computer, if not, the problem is the phone.

zuben el genubi

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
USB doesn't do storage on the phone unless you are using Samsung software or maybe rooted. USB sees the SD card as another drive.

Once the SD card pops up in My computer, you can drag and drop.

Depending on how your computer sees things - it may show up as Drive e,f, whatever. Some might say mobile. Look in "My Computer"

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
USB doesn't do storage on the phone unless you are using Samsung software or maybe rooted. USB sees the SD card as another drive.

Once the SD card pops up in My computer, you can drag and drop.

Depending on how your computer sees things - it may show up as Drive e,f, whatever. Some might say mobile. Look in "My Computer"

Depending on your OS, I would think it would try to auto-mount them, at least as far back to XP I would think it would. I know that when I plug in my phone, right outta the box, no tweaks, I get three notifications for mounting drives. It's definitely USB though and you should see the notifications in your system tray and pop ups.

harlequinlove, when you plug in another USB device, do you see a notification for mounting? Maybe there is some problem with with the ports, or, some setting on the computer. You might want to test that is indeed working.

zuben el genubi

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
You also have to allow USB. I get a screen on my SGS4G that asks if I want to connect for storage or something to that effect. You have to allow it.

I am rooted, but XP immediately sees the USB as the e drive. It did so even before I rooted.

Just the USB icon in the notification bar doesn't mean connection.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
You also have to allow USB. I get a screen on my SGS4G that asks if I want to connect for storage or something to that effect. You have to allow it.

The OP already stated they messed with the USB settings and set it for Mass Storage, so, I doubt that is the issue.

But, the OP hasn't posted back at all on anything we've said, so, I'd consider this a closed issue at this point. :p

Marlen Cardenas

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I FOUND THE CORRECT ANSWER.

I have this phone and it was a pain in the ass to find WHY it wouldn't connect but here it is

SAMSUNG

"Connecting as a Mass Storage Device

You can connect your device to a PC as a removable disk and access the file directory. If you insert a memory card in the device, you can also access the files directory from the memory card by using the device as a memory card reader.

Note: The file directory of the memory card displays as a removable disk, separate from the internal memory.

Note: To use any downloaded market application that requires a USB connection between your phone and your PC, you should first set the USB setting to Mass storage.

Insert a memory card into the device to transfer files from or to the memory card.
From the Home screen, Touch Applications > Settings > Applications > USB settings > Mass storage."

mstammyt

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I have been going crazy over this as well!! In my Galaxy s4 settings, the only usb connection I can find is under tethering and it isnt highlighted?? I run windows 8 on my laptop, it allows me to charge my phone. But I can not see the phone by usb or any storage on it. And I get an error on the laptop that say it doesn't recognize the device, even after downloading Samsung's Drivers and installing them. ANY HELP??

Nathan Fakhouri

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Check to make sure if the USB cable came with the phone.... If not, go online and make sure you find a match in the compatibility list... Not only just the shape of the cable a match, but matching the cable with the compatibility list... I just purchased a brand new OEM Samsung cable and it I was having the same issue you are, it charges but no PC connect, it wont even install the drivers.... But it works with the new accessory cable for my Galaxy S that came with a bunch of accessory's package I ordered for my model, sync and all.
-Nate O:)

bgarcia17

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Check to make sure if the USB cable came with the phone.... If not, go online and make sure you find a match in the compatibility list... Not only just the shape of the cable a match, but matching the cable with the compatibility list... I just purchased a brand new OEM Samsung cable and it I was having the same issue you are, it charges but no PC connect, it wont even install the drivers.... But it works with the new accessory cable for my Galaxy S that came with a bunch of accessory's package I ordered for my model, sync and all.
-Nate O:)

Where exactly is this list of compatible USB cables? And what the heck is the difference between them? I have a Galaxy Victory 4G LTE (lite version of one the real Galaxy's), and neither the supplied cable or another spare that I've used with other phones, has worked. All I get is charging, pc (Win7) doesn't even acknowledge that I plugged the phone into the USB port). Port is good, USB stick works fine in it. My phone has no settings that I can find for USB mode (except debug), as I understand 4.1.1 removed the mass storage option. As a pirate with a crotch-mounted steering wheel would say...."this is driving me nuts!"

Last edited:

alemen1962

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I know this is late but may help others who are looking for an answer.....had the same problem and what I found is that my USB hub was not strong enough. I have a multi port connector that is additionally powered by an electrical adapter. The computer would not recognize the device until I plugged the adapter back in and lo and behold it found it and I had no further problems.

jermcdow

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
There is something else going on here. My G3 has always connected with no problem. Then it started connecting slow, two or three minutes before the Icon showed up on my computer. Now it won't connect at all, no matter what I do. I tried switching the cable and computer, nothing works. I never had any problem connecting on either computer in the past and I am using the cable that came with the phone and a cable that I used in the past that worked. In addition, my camera keeps destroying my photos. I can be viewing a photo and then it will all of a sudden become unreadable. Even after, I bring it up on Kies air the photo is trashed. It also completely erased one SD card to the point that it became unreadable. There is something else going on here other than a bad cable or drivers. The software in the phone has somehow become corrupted and it?s happening to a lot of people.

russell newell

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Same issue with me. Used to work, but now it is not. I tried my phone with 2 computers. At first, both said I was missing CDC SERIAL DRIVER. After updating both computers with Samsung drivers, no error message now, but nothing happens. Phone says it's connected and tries to connect USB storage, but computers don't see it.

Last edited:

vonski25

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same problem, I think. My Galaxy 4g used to connect to my computer. Now, none of my computers see it. I can't change the USB settings on the phone because they don't show up on the phone at all anymore. It is the original USB that came with the phone. I think it must be some sort of update issue. (always blame the updates). It is driving me crazy.
I want to see if there is a way to get the pictures that are in my dropbox out of my gallery on my phone. they are taking up memory and filling up my phone. I can't get them off the phone - there is no way that I can find to delete them. I wanted to hook it up to the computer to clean out the phone and can't hook it up to the computer - any computer - I have tried 3. I would love any ideas anyone can share with me.
THANKS!!

drumboy1956

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I FOUND THE CORRECT ANSWER.

I have this phone and it was a pain in the *** to find WHY it wouldn't connect but here it is

SAMSUNG

"Connecting as a Mass Storage Device

You can connect your device to a PC as a removable disk and access the file directory. If you insert a memory card in the device, you can also access the files directory from the memory card by using the device as a memory card reader.

Note: The file directory of the memory card displays as a removable disk, separate from the internal memory.

Note: To use any downloaded market application that requires a USB connection between your phone and your PC, you should first set the USB setting to Mass storage.

Insert a memory card into the device to transfer files from or to the memory card.
From the Home screen, Touch Applications > Settings > Applications > USB settings > Mass storage."

The above instructions are for the Samsung Infuse 4G.....NOT the Samsung Galaxy S4 as referenced in the heading of this thread.

Tarainjag

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Same issue: several computers would not recognize phone, just charge it. I stopped using the white USB cord that came with the phone because I had to hold it in strange positions to get it to work. I used the white cord from the phone to the computer, and voila! It magically connects. Thank you for the suggestion.

SharenaSha

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
One day my Galaxy just stopped connecting to my computer so that I can transfer files. It charged fine, but my computer was just not establishing the connection.

I searched for months...trying different things online including buying the original cable again, reinstalling drivers, entering various codes, enabling debugging... blah, blah, blah. Well you know what worked? Chatting with a live Samsung Tech Support agent. Go figure!! But it's not what you think.

To my surprised the tech was able to remotely control my phone after installing an app called Smart Tutor for Samsung. We went through a couple of steps that didn't work until he suggested I start the phone in safe mode to see if it was an application that was causing the problem.

1. Power the device off (remove and re-insert the battery).
2. Press and hold the Power key.
3. When the device vibrates; release the Power key and immediately hold down the Volume Down key
4. Keep pressing the Volume down key until the device boots up completely.
5. If successful, Safe Mode will appear on the device screen in the bottom left corner.
Please connect the device in Safe mode.

Once I connected the phone, immediately everything starting working again. The USB icon on my phone popped up, and my computer asked me what I wanted to do with the device.

I was happy, but disturbed that I was going to have to go through the arduous task of uninstalling apps until I figured out which one was causing the issue. HOWEVER, when I restarted the phone, the USB function continued to work perfectly without installing one thing.

I figure if it worked for me...might work for you too.

Bon Chance.

cherivegas

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I was having the same issue with my computer not responding even when I was just simply trying to attach my device. Nothing happened! So thru trial and error, I finally fixed it: 1. Try reconnecting it in safe mode on your PC. It WILL recognize that you have connected a device (Corrupted or not!). 2. If an error shows up: Go to Device Manager -> Right click on the problem driver -> Select Properties > Driver > Uninstall the driver> Disconnect the the cable and then reconnect it. After you reconnect your device, It will re-install the driver> Restart computer, Problem should be fixed. It worked for me :)

SM

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21