Is it worth upgrading phone to ICS?

james0116

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I just recently jumped onto the Android bandwagon from Blackberry. I have a Motorola Photon and Acer Iconia A500. Happy with both devices.

I've been reading the blogs and forums about the ICS rollout and wonder if it's worth upgrading my phone and have a few concerns.

From what I can get from the blogs, ICS handles memory like Honeycomb, which means that you can't move an app to SD. I've already run out of space on my tablet, nothing but apps (I like gaming), keeping only music, videos, pictures, and game data on the sd. Most apps are tiny, but a lot of the HD games designed for tablets take up a lot of space.

So I guess my questions are:

1) Is what I'm reading true? That you can't install apps to sd with ICS?
2) If and when the upgrade hits my phone, can I decline it? I like the option of installing to sd and I'm not sure the other improvements with ICS will outweigh that yet.

Krasin

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I have an Iconia running ICS and tablets still can't move apps over.
On my Evo 4g's it still works perfectly fine. If it didn't my poor phone would be screwed with such small memory.

Also, you can turn down updates whenever the device asks you. And if you're rooting with a custom ROM you have to decline or it'll mess up your phone.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
If the device handles expandable memory then I'm sure you'll have the option to move data over to the SD Card. Entire app data won't be moved, just as in Froyo, but you should have the ability to move some data over.

Yes, you'll be able to decline the phone update OTA. Although, ICS will bring good improvements worth updating to. If memory is a concern, I'd suggest moving to cloud storage for most everything else but Apps and keep those on the device.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae