How to Set Wallpaper without cropping?

ColdSpike

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I found some pretty neat wallpapers, 480x800 I believe, and would like to use them on my EVO. Looking at them in the Gallery they are damn sweet, BUT when I try to set them as Wallpaper a cropping tool pops up.

I want to use the images as they are seen in the gallery, cropping doesn't cover the entire image and looks like day old death. Am I asking for something that's impossible?

Last edited:

anon(12496)

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, Android can't stretch the wallpaper, or fill in the missing space, so the only solution is to edit the picture on your desktop machine to the correct size and aspect ratio (<removed>). That, or you must crop. Sorry! :(

edit: I got the resolution so very wrong, sorry! Please see my post below for the correct wallpaper size!

Last edited:

ColdSpike

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply! I was mistaken in my OP, the wallpapers that I downloaded were 480x800, just checked them.

What is the size I would need for Android to use without distorting the image? I thought that if I got images the same size as the screen resolution I would be good. What I don't understand is, the cropping tool pops up, I make the area to be cropped as large as I can but when it is displayed on the screen its been horribly blown up.

anon(12496)

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm so sorry, I was mistaken! The different resolution got me confused, I'm used to my 320x480 Hero. The EVO's screen is 480x800, but the wallpaper should be bigger, as with every Android phone. When you scroll the home screen, it moves over the wallpaper left and right, so at any time, it only shows a portion of it. You should look for wallpapers the same height as your screen, but twice the width! That's 960x800, or anything larger since you can then crop without losing quality. Sorry again, for confusing you!

Cowchip

May 17, 2010
Visit site
What I don't understand is that even though I download the correct wallpaper size, I still have to use the cropping tool. Not a big deal, but why use 960x800 if it has to be cropped anyway?

anon(12496)

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
If the image is the correct aspect ratio, the cropping tool will cover the whole of it. Why the need then? Don't know! :) It's something we must live with, I guess.

lopsa84

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Go to the android market and search for "Wallpaper set and save" its free and you set the wallpaper and avoid having to crop your picture.

Enjoy

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
What I don't understand is that even though I download the correct wallpaper size, I still have to use the cropping tool. Not a big deal, but why use 960x800 if it has to be cropped anyway?
If you have to crop you got the aspect ratio wrong so the resolution you're using isn't correct.

Whatever's left outside the crop box is your clue as to which dimension is off.

alex AGUIRRE

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Well what you could do is go to google images on your phone, find your wallpaper, click on it, and then on the top right corner there should be see full size image. Click on it and then touch and hold the picture in full size image and there should be a pop up the just click set as wallpaper. Hope it work, it does with my phone

mrsharmasahil

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
do what i am doing.

just download any app from play store like "personal wallpapers" or any other like that and set your wallpaper without cropping and it can change your selected wall paper automatically also.

i hope u like it.:);)

shravan kumar4

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I found some pretty neat wallpapers, 480x800 I believe, and would like to use them on my EVO. Looking at them in the Gallery they are damn sweet, BUT when I try to set them as Wallpaper a cropping tool pops up.

I want to use the images as they are seen in the gallery, cropping doesn't cover the entire image and looks like day old death. Am I asking for something that's impossible?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781