how to format mac-compatible SD card

peteratomic

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
In an earlier version of android I was able to see my SD Card on my mac just fine. Short version of a long story is that someone reformatted it and haven't been able to connect it since. Even tried to reformat from within Android 2.2.1 but it still gives me "this card is unreadable" when I plug in the phone on my mac.

Anyone know how to reformat the SD card so it will both work with both the phone and an apple laptop?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Mount the phone to computer via cable and open Disk Utility. You should see a list of hard drives on the left hand side -- the sd card from the phone should show up. Select it and make sure to select Erase in the menu box that pops-up. Under format type select Fat and start the erase process. Be sure to backup all your data on the SD Card because it will completely erase it and you won't be able to recover the files.

If the above does not work then I'd suggest going with what Pville said and search for a friend.

peteratomic

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Disk Utility doesn't see the card. :(

I've used other SD cards with Fat32 before, but it seems like whatever process Android uses is incompatible. Google hates Apple? Oi, tired of being held hostage by these fracking corporations.

Anyhow... can I use a PC to format the card? Does it have to be done by the phone? Perhaps using a PC will do it properly...

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm on a Macbook Pro and it reads the memory card fine. When the card was formatted what format was used? And was it done on a PC previously?

In the meantime, use WiFi Explorer in the market to transfer files from the phone to computer until you can resolve the issue.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

peteratomic

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
The SD Card was formatted on the phone. Not sure how it was originally done. I've assumed Android is causing the formatting problem, but maybe its the Motorola?

Will the phone be able to read the SD card if I format with a PC using Fat32?