what exactly is rooting a device mean

tungsten

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
This might be a trivial question for some.

I came from WEBOS and ROOTING a device meant typing a string into the device and the Superuser icon will show up.

In and Android device I would like to know what exactly the rooting process is doing. Is it turning on a icon? is it actually creating the icon? is it different for different devices? etc

I thank you in advance

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
This might be a trivial question for some.

I came from WEBOS and ROOTING a device meant typing a string into the device and the Superuser icon will show up.

In and Android device I would like to know what exactly the rooting process is doing. Is it turning on a icon? is it actually creating the icon? is it different for different devices? etc

I thank you in advance

I'm not a techy, and the terms that i'm using may sound funny, but here goes. When you buy a brand new Android, it's at the "user" level. To access certain features of the phone, that are denied to "users", you must go deeper into the phone's systems, to the "developer" level. Very basically, that is what rooting is. I believe that "jail breaking", for iPhones, is the same thing. That is my conception of "rooting", but if i'm wrong, then someone please correct me.:D

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Basically the same as jailbreaking an iPhone. The term rooting comes from the action of gaining root-level access to the operating system. It is removing all the locks that keep a user from being able to modify the firmware.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia