Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What does Clockwork Backup save?

If I am rooted and do a backup by booting into Clockwork recovery and do a backup, does that save everything on the internal memory of my phone/tablet?

I have searched all over and I am not clear if it includes stuff I copy (like music, pictures) or it is just the ROM, apps and app data.

It seems like you can only backup to the internal memory. What do you do if the backup gets too big to fit on there?

ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

Default Re: What does Clockwork Backup save?

CWM backup only backs up the ROM. It doesn't save anything like contacts, apps, home screen settings, etc. Music and pictures are on your SD card, so they'll always be there. You'll need Titanium Backup to save your apps and data. There are also apps that save your home screen settings, but I'm not familiar with them.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by pazzo02 View Post
    CWM backup only backs up the ROM. It doesn't save anything like contacts, apps, home screen settings, etc. Music and pictures are on your SD card, so they'll always be there. You'll need Titanium Backup to save your apps and data. There are also apps that save your home screen settings, but I'm not familiar with them.
    Okay. Thanks.

I don't really get the point then. I could just wipe the caches and reload the ROM .ZIP and it would be almost the same thing then. Where is the time savings?

To correct what was said above...

It does make an exact image of what your device is at that point in time..

OS/kernel/system/data/settings

Everything minus your sdcard contents....

So for example you make a Nandroid Backup (Clockwork Backup) and then flash to a completely different ROM... You can then boot back into CWM wipe everything clean, and then restore your Nandroid Backup you made earlier and it will bring you back to the way your device was at that time you made the backup. So it will bring back the ROM/kernel/data/settings. So if you had text messages sitting there, those will be restored too...

Hope this helps clear things up.

FYI, Titanium or My Backup are great for doing individual apps & data restores but it doesn't do an image or backup of the OS/kernel.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Thanked by 3:

ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

Sorry for the misinformation. The one time I ever had to flash my backup, I didn't have any of my previous settings. I must have made the backup before setting everything up.

Global Posts
    10,474 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Op, it's recommended that you backup immediately after rooting the device. This will give you a clean pallet to reinstall if you ever need to start fresh.

And as Paul said, there are apps available to backup individual components to transfer to another ROM or future restore. Remember to keep the device sync'd as well.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk