can anyone help solve my dilemma?

travel-bug

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I can be so stupid at times. Really. I get on my OWN nerves. Here goes:

I was looking for an app, or a game, I was going through a few of them - I have no idea which one did this, but since last night I've been getting a + sign in my notification at the top. ALL THE TIME. Its telling me as an att customer I won an ipad, I have to put in my phone number and verify it to confirm my win or something...here's the link, I looked it up. Congratulations! NEW iPad 2!

(if links aren't allowed in forums, please delete my post)

I'm getting really super annoyed with this, and I'm really angry at myself for even letting this happen.

My question is - how do I stop it, or block it or some way shape or form, get rid of it?

(I have a samsung infuse 4g)

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Did you install any of those games you were looking at? This is something that's found a lot in free apps. If you go into Manage Applications>Running Applications you should be able to find what it is and uninstall it.

Reactions: travel-bug

travel-bug

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Go and download this application

https://market.android.com/details?...SwxLDEsImNvbS5kZW5wZXIuYWRkb25zZGV0ZWN0b3IiXQ..

It can help find out which app is causing this.
Yep. I installed addons detector and it showed me right away the game I had I installed - (and was really enjoying I might add!!!!) was the culprit. I'm really disappointed! But I would rather live without the ads. (why do people have to ruin everyone else's phones?)

Thanks so much for your help! You have no idea how much this is appreciated.

:) :)

travel-bug

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Did you install any of those games you were looking at? This is something that's found a lot in free apps. If you go into Manage Applications>Running Applications you should be able to find what it is and uninstall it.
I installed all those apps I was looking at. As soon as I tried them and didn't like them, I uninstalled immediately. OF COURSE it was the app that I liked and kept!

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Glad we could help. If you really liked that game, see if there is a paid version. Almost all paid versions have the ads removed.

travel-bug

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Glad we could help. If you really liked that game, see if there is a paid version. Almost all paid versions have the ads removed.
you know what? I just might. I just couldn't stand to pay for an app that I could get for free. But its worth more to me not to have unwanted ads which may or may not contain any sort of malware, on my phone. These phones are not cheap, I don't get why people are so vindictive. Again, thank you and have a GREAT weekend!

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
you know what? I just might. I just couldn't stand to pay for an app that I could get for free. But its worth more to me not to have unwanted ads which may or may not contain any sort of malware, on my phone. These phones are not cheap, I don't get why people are so vindictive. Again, thank you and have a GREAT weekend!

They are just trying to make money. You can't blame them. They put time and maybe even their own money into an app that you got to enjoy for free. They gotta make revenue somehow or there is no incentive to develop.

Apps are so cheap that if you really like it, it's worth it. I got lucky and nabbed Where's My Water for free on Amazon App Store when it was the App of the Day. But, it's up there now for $0.99 cents. I'd pay that in a second for that game.

travel-bug

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
They are just trying to make money. You can't blame them. They put time and maybe even their own money into an app that you got to enjoy for free. They gotta make revenue somehow or there is no incentive to develop.

Apps are so cheap that if you really like it, it's worth it. I got lucky and nabbed Where's My Water for free on Amazon App Store when it was the App of the Day. But, it's up there now for $0.99 cents. I'd pay that in a second for that game.
no-no, thats not what I meant, I understand that, I was thinking faster than I was typing and didn't preview my post...I meant that I was burnt several times before, I don't understand why some developers are vindictive enough to put malware in their apps...but I'm definately paying for this one. I paid $6.00 for an app. (doesn't work as well as I would like it to though.), I was pleasantly surprised to see that in the android market at least, once you pay for an app, its there. I had to do a factory reset several times for apps that had corrupted my sd card...and the one app I paid for was still there...didn't have to re-buy it. I'm a mom. If I can get something for free, then I don't want to pay for that same item. But in this instance, I will. Now I have to try to remember the name of the app so I can go get it!

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
no-no, thats not what I meant, I understand that, I was thinking faster than I was typing and didn't preview my post...I meant that I was burnt several times before, I don't understand why some developers are vindictive enough to put malware in their apps...but I'm definately paying for this one. I paid $6.00 for an app. (doesn't work as well as I would like it to though.), I was pleasantly surprised to see that in the android market at least, once you pay for an app, its there. I had to do a factory reset several times for apps that had corrupted my sd card...and the one app I paid for was still there...didn't have to re-buy it. I'm a mom. If I can get something for free, then I don't want to pay for that same item. But in this instance, I will. Now I have to try to remember the name of the app so I can go get it!

Well, if it's an in app add, then, there is nothing wrong with it. If it was locking up your phone until your put your phone number in, that is pretty sleazy. But, in some ways, I still can't blame them since they gotta make money. Malware that only causes problems and no profit, I don't get, but, I can kinda understand this one.

I believe any of the app downloaders you could get will behave this way. I know the Amazon App Store works the same way. I just got a refurb under warranty and was able to get my apps back from Amazon and Market. In fact, it was great getting them back from market since I was able to use my computer to push/install them to my phone (which I just learned, thanks Pazz).

I'm not a Mom, I'm a single guy, and, if I can get it for free, I will too, so, I understand. If you don't already have it, pick up the Amazon App Store (you have to go to Amazon's website to get it, not available in Market). They offer a paid app for free every day. I have downloaded almost 300 apps in this fashion and have found many gems. Four out of five times it's a game, but, sometimes it's a really functional useful app.

Well, I hope you remember the name of it, good luck.

Reactions: travel-bug

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante