Android phone without service turned on?

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
I won a $200 Apple Store gift card at a work function, but we are an Android family. So, I was thinking of seeing if someone would trade an Adroid device for the GC. This would be for my 8 year old to use as an MP3 player/media device. My first choice would be someone who possibly picked up a Galaxy Player, but decided they would rather have an iPod and would make a trade. Short of that, the only way for me to have a ($200) comparable device would be to get a (good) used phone, but not turn on the phone connectivity and only use it as a player - is that possible? Would it still connect to the market and would/could it still receive updates?

Also, I can meet someone at an Apple Store to prove my GC is good. How can I verify if their phone is "clean" and not stolen? I'm not worried if they don't wipe it, I'm sure I can figure that out - I just want to be sure it's legit in case I wanted to activate it for her in a few years.

Last edited:

dewmik

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Just curious but couldn't you take it to an independent cell store that offers multiple providers and make a trade? Just wondering?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes, you can have a mobile phone not connected to a cellular network and still download apps and receive updates. You'll need to log in with a Google account and be on WiFi.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
Just curious but couldn't you take it to an independent cell store that offers multiple providers and make a trade? Just wondering?

I won an Apple gift card. I'm not sure if another store would take a gift card for payment.

Thanks srkmagnus for the tip. Someone has offered me an EVO 3D. Looking on eBay, they are selling for $195-$205, so that sounds like a fair trade. And my daughter will probably get a kick out of the 3D option. Now I just need to find out how I can know if the phone is "clean" and not stolen.

blackjaguar25

Thunderbolter
Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
If what says? Who should I call the ESN into? The original carrier?

The Ebay listing. Good sellers put whether it has a clean ESN or a bad ESN in the listing. Most people don't lie, but usually you can send them a message asking for the ESN and you can call into the carrier and verify.

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
The Ebay listing. Good sellers put whether it has a clean ESN or a bad ESN in the listing. Most people don't lie, but usually you can send them a message asking for the ESN and you can call into the carrier and verify.

I'll be looking for a swap on Craigslist, so I will have to see if I can get the ESN before I meet the person.

Now I have a decision. I had an offer to swap a EVO 3D, and someone with a Samsung Galaxy Player.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Since it's a GSM phone, check with AT&T or TMobile to see if it's listed as stolen. (Call first, so you can get the information you're going to need, which department to call, etc.)

As others have said, it'll work fine on Wifi, just not as a phone. (I don't think I've downloaded more than 2 apps on 3G, and I've downloaded a few hundred apps. [I'm a software junky.]) Same thing for music - she can download it on wifi or use the USB connection to copy songs from her computer to the phone.

Tell her she's got a nice dad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC