question about upgrading to a new android phone

jeeves744

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Right now I have a AT&T captivate and I am able to upgrade to a new phone. This is my first android phone and will be the first time I am upgrading to another android phone. How do I go about transferring everything from my old phone to my new one? Im mostly wondering about transferring games and not losing my progress in them. Is this something they can do at AT&T or is there an app i can get that can use to transfer everything to the new phone i decide to get?

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
There are several apps in the market that will backup and restore Angry Birds. Other games though you would have to search and se if there is a backup/restore for their data.

If you are rooted, you could use Titanium Backup to restore your game data. I would re-install the game from the market but you should be able to restore game data from Titanium without a problem.

If you're not rooted then it will be more difficult.

You may want to use App Brain to back up a list of your apps. The market will remember your paid apps but having a handy list of your free apps is always a good thing.

Hope this helps.

jeeves744

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
No I am not rooted. I guess I will look around and see if I can find an app to back my games. Thanks for the info. I was hoping there would be a way to copy everything over in one step.

Would moving my apps to the SD card, and then putting it in my new phone be a way to transfer things?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Your best bet to backup all user data on games and other sensitive apps is to root and use Titanium Backup or MyBackup Pro to backup -- remember that you'll need the paid version to restore data.

You'll also need to root the new device to restore the data. If you are up to rooting this will be your best bet. Otherwise you'll have a hard time finding methods to backup and restore user data.

jeeves744

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I guess I will have to look into rooting my phone. It just seems really odd that there is no simple way to transfer all your data from one phone to another. You would think manufactures would want to make that easy so people would be more willing to upgrade to a new phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz