Goophone(iPhone+Android togther)[need a new phone]

Karthius

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
I am looking to buy a new phone within the next week or so. I been torn between iOS(iPhone) and of course android(done with blackberries + windows phone don't "WHOA" me) anyway. I pretty much decided on iPhone4 due to design but i always preferred Android but i figured i can just "jail break an iPhone". while i was set on this i was browsing the web and came across something called "Goophone v5"

Gooapple V5 / Goophone 4GS review and comparison with iPhone 4 - YouTube (side by side with iPHone(custom UI)

Gooapple V5 VS iPhone 4S - YouTube (Side by side with standard android UI)

As you can see the form factor and design is an exact replica(clone) of iPhone but with the OS of Android 2.3.3 i believe.

Here are the stats.

Support GSM & WCDMA 3G network
- 512MB RAM / 512MB ROM, 8GB/16GB storage
- 5MP rear camera, 1.3MP front camera
- Support WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS
- Android 2.3 OS, iPhone UI, both UI inside
Processor MTK MT6573

and yes it supports the retna display( i think someone working at the apple factory in china is taking iphone shells and putting in their parts). Point is i know this is a "clone" but unlike others this supports a full a legit OS(Android) and seems to be very high quality(from the reviews seen)

I know there are tons of android phones on the market but here is my issue.
1. I don't do contracts.
2. It has to be GSM.

I was either looking at this goophone or a used iPhone4 off ebay. So input from experience users would be nice +(is that processor any good?)
++ the phone is also rootable.:)

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
My first question would be is the manufacturer reputable? Do you know you will get support if you have a problem? Next would be what carrier do you plan to use and will it operate on their network? And will you know what settings need to be changed and how to do it to work with that carrier?

Karthius

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
i will be using att(which is confirmed working), any issues with the phone sadly would be on me(same if i bought an iPhone without warranty) but all the parts are inter changeable with iPhone4 parts. android-sales have good reviews with their support on their end. :mad:

gxgs

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Do they have an active development schedule for such phone? Android updates? kernels? ROMs? modems? does the manufacturer provide these? Does it come rooted?

Also, that CPU that it comes with, i dont think it will be comparable with say the exynos or a texas instruments one in terms of CPU and GPU performance. It seems to be outdated, based on the ARMv6 instruction set, instead of the ARMv7 which most current phones carry.

I, in my opinion, would not buy that, i dont know how large the development community for that phone is, and that processor is just too old for my likings and there is not much information about it.

You can buy gsm android phones from major manufacturers like samsung, htc blabla without contracts, so i dont see that being an issue.

Karthius

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Hmm i see were you are coming from, but honestly no other android phone catches me attention that is GSM. Only droid bionic/razar and those are cdma locked. I take the advice of the android community to denounce this phone as crap :( i guess i am getting an iphone *wippee*(sarcasm in excitement) lol thank you anyway :)

gxgs

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Hmm i see were you are coming from, but honestly no other android phone catches me attention that is GSM. Only droid bionic/razar and those are cdma locked. I take the advice of the android community to denounce this phone as crap :( i guess i am getting an iphone *wippee*(sarcasm in excitement) lol thank you anyway :)

Well, its not crap per se, but i dont think you will be getting the same experience as an iphone or as a samsung galaxy s2 for example, due to its slower and older processor. You also wont get the same third party experience of installing third party ROMs or custom kernels, or changing modems to see which one gives you the best reception for example, as you would on any other newer android phone from a major/international manufacturer.

Its your money, you want it and like it, buy it, just blame yourself if there are any shortcomings, not the android platform :b. Im just stating what i saw from the specs as its processor is running at 650mhz with an older instruction set and from what i can tell, its only a single core. While the iphone 4 and 4s are based on the armv7 and run at 800mhz and the latter is a dual core and most mid and high end android phones usually carry a 1ghz+ single or dual core processor.

What do you like about the iphone? the metal frame?

Karthius

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Iphone honestly the simplicity(not to big) nice simple, not to big not too small. + the loads and loads of accessories and customization available to this phone is unbelievable.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49