How Can I Delete the Android Emoticon .png Files?

katech725

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I have a rooted Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

Within the system file /system/framework/framework-res.apk/res/drawable-xhdpi/ are about 17 little "emo_im_xxxxx.png" files that represent the little "green alien" emoticons that Android's stock SMS program inserts into text messages when certain text-based emoticons are input.

I want to delete these .png files so that the "green alien" emoticons no longer replace my standard text smilies. I don't care that others may not be able to see them. *I* don't want to see them, LOL. I've hated them since I got the HTC Droid Incredible two years ago, and I want them gone. I don't want to use a separate messaging app (Handcent, etc.). I like the stock app. I have Root Explorer, but the only option it gives me when I navigate and select these .png files is to "Extract" them.

I rooted my phone for the sole reason of being able to access/edit system files so I could get rid of these ugly little buggers, but have not had much luck after a full day of Googling, downloading, installing, uninstalling, packing, repacking, pushing, pulling and rebooting. There has got to be a simple solution to something that should honestly be built into the Android OS as a simple "auto-smilies on/off" toggle switch in settings.

Thanks for any input.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Replace those pngs with identical filenames with "blanks" or transparent images of the same dimensions and push the framework-res.apk back to your device.

katech725

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like a plan, but what programs/apps should I use to get "framework-res.apk" off my device, replace the images, and then "push" it back? And can this all be done via the phone, or am I using my PC? I have Android Commander downloaded, but it refuses to acknowledge that the phone is rooted, and so will not let me write/move/push anything back to the system folders.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
You can pull it from the device using ADB and your computer.

Your can pull it from the device by using ES File Explorer, navigating to /system/framework/ and copy and paste the framework-res.apk to your internal storage/sdcard and then move it from there to your computer to work on.

Once you get the framework-res.apk on your computer you can then using 7zip pull those pngs out of the framework-res.apk/res/drawable-xxxx/ directory

Make your blanks/transparents using the same filenames with a Paint program like Gimp (free). Google it...

Then once that is complete place those pngs back into the location on the framework-res.apk using 7zip once again.

Now you can push it back to your device using ADB or best suggestion grab a theme (flashable) zip that is used in CWM... Open it up using 7zip and navigate to the location in the zip file called /system/framework/

Delete anything in there and place your modified framework-res.apk in that location. Next delete any other folders, like /system/app/ so that doesn't include anything else in your "flash".

Close the zip file up, and place it on your device and flash it in CWM.

Sorry if this guide seems rushed or doesn't explain enough but these are two of the best situations to do this.

Good luck.

katech725

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I got as far as getting all the .pngs edited and packed back up into the .apk file, but I have no idea how to use ADB and am having trouble finding any usable .zip files to commandeer for my purposes. I did find a couple of theme .zips online, but wasn't really sure what all I needed to delete/modify in them, and attempted flashes through CWM resulted in aborted installs. Any suggestions for this step?

katech725

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, all, for the assistance. I was finally able to get the edited .apk files pushed through. Turns out Paul's idea worked a little too well, LOL. Replacing the .png files with "blanks" literally inserted a big blank spot in place of where a text smiley was typed. I tried deleting the .pngs altogether and that just flat out crashed the MMS app. It would appear that the only way to achieve "text only" smilies in the stock Android messaging program would be to go in and edit the script so that it does not auto-replace the text emoticons with images. So, it looks like I'm stuck with the things until Google decides to allow a little more customization with that app. =P

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
You can use Root explorer or even ES file manager. Just move the edited framework-res.apk to system/framework

Reason I didn't recommend this option was it's not always a fool proof method of pushing files especially main system files like framework. I've had my entire device crash doing it this way and end up having to re flash the device and start over.

Thanks, all, for the assistance. I was finally able to get the edited .apk files pushed through. Turns out Paul's idea worked a little too well, LOL. Replacing the .png files with "blanks" literally inserted a big blank spot in place of where a text smiley was typed. I tried deleting the .pngs altogether and that just flat out crashed the MMS app. It would appear that the only way to achieve "text only" smilies in the stock Android messaging program would be to go in and edit the script so that it does not auto-replace the text emoticons with images. So, it looks like I'm stuck with the things until Google decides to allow a little more customization with that app. =P
Sorry to here it didn't work. Are you sure your blank pngs were the same dimensions as the original, example say 24 x 24 pixels? Otherwise I can see it doing what happened to you if you didn't use the same png dimensions.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

katech725

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to here it didn't work. Are you sure your blank pngs were the same dimensions as the original, example say 24 x 24 pixels? Otherwise I can see it doing what happened to you if you didn't use the same png dimensions.

No worries. All I did when I edited the .pngs was delete the actual image and leave just a blank, transparent canvas in place. No adjusting the dimensions or anything. So they were saved as blank, transparent 24x24 .pngs and that's exactly what the MMS app used when it auto-replaced a text smiley in a message. I was just looking to keep the app from replacing the emoticons with *anything*.

In the end, I just unrooted and re-locked the phone. I had "Go SMS" installed for about a day to allow for customization of the emoticons (i.e., none, LOL), but couldn't stand it, and went back to the stock app. I'll just plague Google with requests to put an end to auto-smilies until they relent. ;)

Sandy Wallace

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
It is very easy,all you need is a computer.Connect the tablet,go down to adc folder,click to open and delete all file. Go back to file manager,click to open,click on the picture icon.
If is some file left,go to folder androidws and open.Go down to LocalAds end delete all file.
You go back to file manager and check again on picture icon.
That all,you don't need any software.
If you have Lazylist folder,delete-it.

Drflash22

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I had this annoying problem on my Galaxy S4.

If you don't use the - , as in smiley :) or sad :( then it won't convert it to an emoticon or create an MMS.

If you use the menu when in the messaging app (in a thread) and hit the "Insert Smiley" you get a list of the text to emoticon translations. Just don't use any of the exact text sequences and it won't recognize and then convert them!

Way too simple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781