Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Exclamation Can't mount Android phone on Mac; Why not?

Ladies and Gents...

I'm a loyal T-Mobile customer, and I finally gave up on waiting for the iPhone.
    So, I'm moving from my LEMON of a BlackBerry 8900 over to an Android phone: A Samsung Galaxy S II.

But, I'm having trouble mounting it via USB cable to ONE of our TWO Mac Minis.

<<<NOTE: I do not consider this question/thread to be specific to the Samsung.
    To the Mac? Of course Yes, but I've not seen a section dedicated just to the Macintosh OS.>>

It would seem that SOMETHING is wrong about the second Mac, but I sure can't figure out what to uninstall, reinstall, etc.

Here follows my description of the two computers.

{A description of what happens can be seen "down-page".}

=====

This is the description of my wife's Mac Mini.
    I'll call it the FIRST computer because things DO happen correctly on this machine.

Hardware Overview:
    Model Name: Mac mini
    Model Identifier: Macmini1,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
    Processor Speed: 1.66 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 2 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MM11.0055.B08
    SMC Version (system): 1.3f4
    Serial Number (system): YM6090xxxxx
    Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-00xxxxxxxxxx

System Software Overview:
    System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
    Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0

=====

Here's my own computer.
    I'll call it the "Second" one, as it's the one that does NOT connect to the SGS2.

Hardware Overview:
    Model Name: Mac mini
    Model Identifier: Macmini2,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MM21.009A.B00
    SMC Version (system): 1.19f0
    Serial Number (system): YM7291xxxxx
    Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-00xxxxxxxxxx

System Software Overview:
    System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
    Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0

=====

When I'm seated in front of my wife's Mac Mini,
    I select on the Android (Samsung Galaxy S II) the following:

Settings > Wireless and Network > USB utilities.

On the window that then appears, it states:
    USB mass storage
    Tap the button below to copy files between the computer and SD card.
    [Connect storate to PC]

Note that at this point the micro USB cable has NOT yet been connected.

I click the button, and this dialog box pops up:
    USB utilities
    Connect USB cable to use mass storage.
    [Cancel]

I connect the cable, (and I do not press the button)...

The tan or "baby-puke green" Android symbol pops up on the top third of the screen, with a USB symbol in the place of its upraised left hand.

Beneath that is this text:
    USB connected
    You have connected your phone to your computer via USB. Select the button below if you want to copy files between your computer and your android's USB storage
    [Connect USB storage]

To Repeat: The above DOES appear on our first Mac Mini (my wife's).
    PLEASE NOTE: It only briefly FLASHES on the screen when connected to (my own) second Mac Mini.

I press the [Connect USB storage] button...
    I get this dialog box:
    Connect USB storage
    Connecting USB storage will stop some applications in use. They may not be available until you disconnect USB storage.
    [ OK ] [ Cancel ]

I click on OK.

The clockwise spinning circle briefly appears in the bottom of the screen, then my phone and micro SD card appear in the "DEVICES" section of an open Finder window of our 1st Mac Mini. I can transfer files back and forth on our first Mac Mini.

Remaining on the screen of the Android (SGS2) is the green android and this message:
    USB storage in use
    Before turning off USB storage, make sure you have unmounted ("ejected") your Android's USB storage from your computer.
    [Disconnect storage from PC]

As indicated earlier, I can transfer files. Instead, I now click the "eject" icon for both the microSD card and the phone, then click on the above "[Disconnect storage from PC] button. All is copacetic on this Mac.

NOW... Moving over to MY Mac Mini...

I repeat the above steps, but when prompted to attach the cable, the baby-puke green android briefly flashes on the screen, then a screen wipe takes him away and reverts to the following message:
    USB mass storage
    Tap the button below to copy files between the computer and SD card.
    [Connect storage to PC]

nuts.

I've been doing this over and over and over again, there is just no getting around this. There is SOMETHING about my own Mac Mini that's causing a problem with mounting the Android phone.

The only plausible explanation that I can think of is:

Before R.I.M. released the Macintosh version of their "Blackberry Desktop Manager" application software,
    I had to purchase a competitor's product and install it.
    {I'm sorry to say that I can not be certain of what the product was called;
    I _SUSPECT_ that it may have been "Missing Sync for Blackberry" by "Mark/Space".
    A distant second possibility is "PocketMac for the Blackberry", but I can NOT be certain of either item.}

To this day, I am not convinced that the first sync software I used was sucessfully or correctly UNinstalled.

Does anyone have any (other) ideas?
    What do I need to locate/fix/remove, and how, etcetera?

p.s.: I've left a similar post at the discussions.apple.com forum, and tried to make contact with "Mark/Space".