International galaxy s2 and ics

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
My unlocked galaxy i9100 (running Froyo) came from a British online store long before S2's went on sale in the U.S. I just put my AT&T SIM into it and I've been happy ever since. It is completely stock and, alas, unrooted. It now runs gingerbread 2.3.4, thanks to a Samsung OTA update.

I keep reading that the ICS upgrade for the Galaxy i9100 is available, but I've received no notice of an upgrade. Besides my patience and several other parts of my brain, is there anything I'm missing? And, is a straightforward method for rooting an S2 available yet?

Thanks,

sfrrr

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Have you checked for a system update? Go into about phone and look for an update -- sometimes you will need to select it to search for an update and install. Good luck :)

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Well, I finally updated to ICS using Kies on my PC. (Coming from Gingerbread.) Now, I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't have.

I'm pretty sure the phone works, as do about 2/3 to 3/4 of my 190-odd apps. The ones that made it across, even held onto their settings/preferences on ICS. But several others disappeared. Plus, there are four or five apps that FC every time I boot up. And when they FC, they often but not always, crash the phone.

Fine, you say, why not just uninstall those FC'ing apps? Because I can't. I can't uninstall anything, whether I try on the device (using the Applications page under settings), or on the PLAY Market app, or the PLAY Market website. I also can't reinstall or uninstall. In all three instances, the Progress bar starts moving and stays moving as long as I can stand it. (I once let it work for three hours.)

ADW was one of the programs that carried over from Gingerbread to ICS. And, of course Touch Wiz came with ICS. Because of TW, which is butt ugly, I wanted to uninstall ADW EX, but I can't uninstall. That's all right because both ADW and TW force-close within a few minutes after boot-up. I tried to install the Apex launcher, but it won't install.

Oh, and Settings crashes if I try to change any of its options. Folder Organizer seems to work, though. And AccuWeather Pro. And Bob's Clock.

Anyone have similar problems? Short of uninstalling ICS and reverting to Gingerbread, anyone have any advice?

Thanks,
Sandra

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
NOOOOO!!!! It appears I was way too optimistic. I'd say half of my apps have disappeared. And many of the remaining apps open part-way and then FC. This means I somehow have to reinstall, doesn't it? It took about five hours to do it yesterday. I can't believe ICS is worth this.

Thanks,
Sandra

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
More info. The problem goes away when I remove the SD card from its slot. While the card was out, I uninstalled the most problematic of the FC'ing apps, reinstalled some of the disappeared apps, then returned the card to its rightful place. Now I have a moderately stable phone.

But, now, my phone has turned into a furnace. After an hour of using phone, it's almost too hot to touch. Is ICS known to run hot?

Thanks,
Sandra

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Two questions: 1) Does ICS make your Galaxy S2 run hot?

2) Is ICS 4.0.3 pretty stable? I have managed to solve most of my problems by pulling out and reinserting the SDHC micro card in order to uninstall or reinstall problematic apps. But, still, my phone spontaneously reboots probably once an hour.

Oops. I have a third question. Google Tasks is one of three few remaining apps that force close and cause the phone to reboot. I rely on GTasks (plus Astrid's widget) for my to-do lists because it seamlessly syncs via the Web site with my lists on other devices. What would be another app for the same purposes, including synchronizing?

Thanks,
Sandra

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool