Password protection - Just while switching on ?!

zyxw

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Hello guys! I'm a newbie Android user.

After a bit of search, I am surprised that I couldn't find a simple password protection mechanism, neither in-built nor offered by any app!

By simple I mean..
My old Nokia phone (not a smartphone!) had this option called "Phone Lock" which when enabled will prompt you for password every time I switch on my phone. - I couldn't find this in Android.

The in-built mechanisms in Android ask for password/pattern every time display turns on.
I want to enter password just once: while switching on the phone.

I would like to know if any app out there offers what I look for.
If not, would like to know the reason behind not having this simple way of protection!

dbareis

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
If an app like that existed then its as good as having no security so I doubt you will find one, there are apps like Delayed Lock that will make it much more infrequent (and some phones have this option also).

Perhaps you are thinking of a locked SIM, my (really) old nokia could be set up to ask for SIM pin every time it boots, you should be able to do that still.

Reactions: zyxw

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps I'm not understanding what you are looking for.

Are you are looking for a password that only get's asked for when you start the phone from a power off state?

Or are you looking for a password that comes up when you launch the dialer?

Or are you looking for a way to delay the password after the screen times out?

If I remember correctly from my Nokia days, the Phone Lock was a key stroke that would lock the phone completely on demand. Otherwise it was unlocked.

This app let's you lock you phone/screen on demand but the device has to already have a password on it.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...epscreen&feature=search_result&token=pVwS1lvE..

There are a ton of others as well that will lock your device on demand, but they all use the base password security of the device.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm - I would look under Settings -> Privacy and see if you can set a SIM lock as dbareis mentioned. If it's not there, go to the website for the manufacturer of your device and see if you can download the full manual. If it's possible to do, it will be documented there.

Good luck.

zyxw

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
@PvilleComp
Thanks, I have tried SIM Lock, but the lock is tied to the SIM card, right?
So, once SIM card is replaced (typically what someone who steals the phone would do), the lock would be gone.

I need security for the phone, without much hassle to me!

dubbajohnny

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
This reply was taken from a different forum where a user had asked asked the same question and made reference to how the Windows phones asks for a password when it is first started up. IvoryCruncher took the words out of my mouth.
(found the quote while looking for an app that did what you were requesting)

[URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-900345.html" said:
ivorycruncher[/URL]]
Um, just FYI, when the pattern lock is enabled, it will always display the pattern entry screen at boot, so you shouldn't have to add it anywhere. Aside from that I don't think there's a way to do what you want, at least not without some kind of ugly hack, or maybe third party utility, but then again there could be some simple trick I'm not aware of.

No offense, but what you want honestly kind of defeats the purpose of having the lock screen, because if you lose the phone, whoever finds it will have full.access to everything, as long as it never gets restarted. I'm surpised that Windows Mobile lets you get away with that, as that makes for an almost useless security feature. I've gotten used to having to enter my pattern every time, but what I would really like is to use a PIN code instead, a feature that doesn't appear until we get Froyo. I had that on KaosFroyo on my Eris, and I miss it.

zyxw

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
No offense, but what you want honestly kind of defeats the purpose of having the lock screen
I agree with that. However I presumed that the first thing a thief would do was to replace the SIM card, thus rebooting the mobile.

Hmmm, guess I have to choose between comfort(+insecurity) and entering pattern/PIN multiple times.
Thanks guys!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12