Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

Default i'm free ! but now i need help ! (former iOS prisoner)

i've been in the apple prision way too long and i finally have free'd myself by ordering the samsung note...

but now i'm scared too... i've been trying to read up a little but i still have many questions, but here are some of the basic ones...

my new (android) phone will be here in a few days so i still have some time left...

sync contacts, calendar, notes... how do i go about it? (and i'd rather not have any of my info in a 'cloud') (i have a PC)

apps... does it work the same than in iOS essentially? how do i get them? how do i pay for them? how do i back them up to my computer? and can i back up all my settings, apps etc to my computer?

updates... for apps or OS... how do i do now... itunes did all that auto...

i'm excited and i know i will never look back, but the start is daring... apple holds one in check with blinders... i'm glad i got out, thanks for your patience with a new android user to be...

thanks !

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Default Re: i'm free ! but now i need help ! (former iOS prisoner)

Welcome to AC and welcome to Android!

First you will want to spend a little time reading these two threads. The first one is great for new and experienced Android users alike. The second is specifically aimed at former iOS users.

Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/gen...e-android.html

Many of your questions will be answered in these threads, but if you still have questions or are not sure about something, be sure to post. There are lot's of good people here in the Forums.

Have fun!
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.
    Thanked by:
    Johnly 
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

so i MUST put all my notes, contacts etc. on gmail (cloud) to get it on my phone? there is no way to get my current MS outlook data onto the phone without storing it somewhere on googles servers?

thanks !

I'll try to help a bit.

Email Sync: By "Outlook" do you mean standalone Outlook or do you use Exchange? If it's Exchange, it'll sync up once you add the account. Going straight to Outlook is a bit harder, but there's a few ways to accomplish it, such as Go Contact Sync. In all honesty, I found it simpler just to switch to Gmail for my personal stuff. It has pretty much everything Outlook does and then some, and you need a Google account anyways just to set the phone up (just like you need an Apple ID to set up an iPhone). You can even use your own personal email with it if you want (like if you have your own domain or something). It's just that so much of Android works so well with the Google stuff, I find it all works well together.

Apps: There's an app store available called Google Play (which will be an app on your phone when you get it). You can start looking for Apps here: http://play.google.com. You buy them the same way you did on iOS....you just have to register a credit card and then you buy them. There's also an app store on Amazon that has a paid app available for free everyday: Amazon.com: Appstore for Android

Apps: For backing up, there's a few options. Obviously the purchase history is saved, so there's no reason for that. But you can use Titanium Backup, if you're rooted (similar to jailbreaking and iPhone) or MyBackup if you're not to back up all the data and settings.

Updates: I think you're asking how do you know updates are available? Just like iOS, you'll just see a notification that there's updates available and you download them. Unlike iOS, you'll be able to see the exact permissions each app is requesting, which is helpful if downloading an app that may seem fishy. Each app can be set up to update automatically if you wish.

I think you'll find that the apps update more frequently on Android than iOS, but this is due to the wide range of devices and Android versions. I actually find this aspect a bit annoying, as I'm frequently updating apps because they fixed a bug in some device or for some version I don't even have. But it's the price you pay for having more freedom in devices.

also in app updating, you can see what they changed in each update before updating, to decide if you want it. for example, a game that i use a lot had an update, i saw that all it added were ads, so i went into my titanium backup and unlinked it from the market, so it would stop asking to update (ran fine how it was)

you will find after using android for a while, you will notice how free you are compared to iOS devices.

if you decide to root, you gain access to the devices full potential, for example, using titanium backup, you can save all of your apps and their data, so you can completely wipe your phone, then have all your apps and their saved data back in under 10 minutes from the click of a button.

Just to add, wrt contacts from Outlook: look into My Phone Explorer (free app from Google Play). You can sync directly from your PC via USB, BT, or Wifi without having to go through Google. You install the program on your PC and a client on your phone and run it from the PC.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

ok thanks... some good info here...

i actually realized that samsung has kies to do the syncing...

i plugged my phone in for the first time, it was recognized and i started the sync... all contacts synced fine, calender synced to about 80% and then it seemed "stuck", so i cancelled it after a while because i had to go to work...

now when i plug in my phone it's not visible anymore on the pc... not in kies, not under "my computer"... i tried re-installing etc... no success...

phone doesn't show at all

any solution for this ?

thanks !

ROM
    OV Backside , MIUI 2.4.20

Welcome to the fold. Your in the right place and my specialty is computers, being a "droid" for only a year now. I think I can still help you here. There was nothing wrong with being am iPhone and if you do your research, there are plenty of apps that do "cross over" so to speak. If you have iTunes for Windows in your PC then try WinAmp for your music. It will run wma & mp4 media. ( wma is windows and mp4 is iTunes for iPhone.) For cloud storage you can use Dropbox or Box. Both are used by both types of phones. If your local Best Buy ( that sells both types of phones) has an experienced tech on hand, go talk to them. They can show you how or even import that contact data for you if you ask. They love helping lost souls! . Good luck and enjoy life as a Droid. It's a blast!

ROM
    Stock Sense 4.1.1

Congrats. Welcome to he android community. I'm sure we all will ne glad to help in anyway.

Sounds like you need to switch your phone to USB mass storage mode... Plug your phone into the PC. Pull down your phone's notification bar and switch to USB mass storage mode. This should allow your PC to see the phone as an external drive.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my LG Spectrum using Tapatalk