Best Android phone on VZW?

melissasroja

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone. Ok I know this is asked every few months but I would love some opinions as to which is the best phone available right now on Verizon. It has to be Android. Im not even close to jumping ship right now. My husband and children all have Android and as a former BB and Palm user Im very happy with Android. My past devices have been the X, Samsung Fantasy and my current device is the Droid 3. Of these my fave has been by far the X. I loved that phone and actually miss it. My son has it now and Ive debated taking it back but its pretty beat. The Droid 3 is ok. It does some funky things sometimes and Ill say I rarely use the keyboard. When I do use it I like it but Im so used to typing on the screen thats what I do most. So this brings me to today. My husband currently has an OG Droid. Its crap and he needs something new and wants my Droid 3. This means I have the option of buying another Droid 3 or getting any other device I want. Im stuck though. I havent been paying attention to whats new or whats coming (I just had a baby) so I have no idea what to get! 4G means nothing to me. Its very limited in my area. If I were to buy a 4G device how will my service be? It should be fine right? But Ill be paying more for something I can barely use correct? Im confused by it Ill admit. I guess my question is if you could get any Android phone on Verizon right now what would that phone be and why? Things that matter are:

A large screen. At least the size of the Droid 3 screen

A decent camera as I do take pics often

I dont want something super buggy and dont want to have to hack the crap out of it

An ok battery life. Im home mostly so a charger is always close by

I love apps so it has to be able to hold and handle a good amount

I think thats it

Thank you!

And sorry for the jumbled mess. Im rushing to type this while the baby naps in my arms! Thanks everyone!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You won't be paying more for data if you upgrade from your 3G data service. If your lines currently have unlimited 3G data plans, you'll have unlimited 4G (and 3G) data at the same price.

Sounds like the DROID RAZR Maxx or Galaxy Nexus would fit you best.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1) You're not really paying more for a 4G phone - most of the phone is in one chipset, and a 3G chipset is only incrementally more expensive than a 3G chipset. And 4G will be built out, so you'll see your speed increasing (not all that much though, in actual use) sometime in the future.

2) Go to a Verizon store (a company owned one) and play with the phones there. No one can tell you which phone is best for you - but you. A physical keyboard is a big point to me, but evidently not to you. Plan on spending an hour or two, at least, playing with phones. Then go home and let it all sink in. By the next day you should have an idea of which one you prefer. Don't be afraid to settle on one that doesn't have all the latest bells and whistles, just choose the one you like best.

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
If u liked the Droid 3 you could go for the Droid 4. Wasn't a big fan of 4g until I saw the difference in downloading . But check out some reviews to get a more in depth view of a phone. If I was buying a new phone it would be. Galaxy nexus, raz/maxx/htc rezound . All 4g phones. But its good to have even if its limited in your area. Its limited in my area as well. I drive 4miles north and its back to 3g. But is a phone for you. Everyone is different. But check them out just to see if u like them. But moto,sammy,and htc have great phones.

Cellmeister

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
"Best" is a matter of preference

Like said above, go to the V store and check/play them out

Continue your wish / requirement list and bring that with you

After checking the phones, narrowing your search

After narrowing down your search, check reviews on the phones you like, especially on the specific model forums, that way you can see what issues, bugs, or other that will influence your decision

Think it out over a day before committing

Good luck & Hope that helps

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If u liked the Droid 3 you could go for the Droid 4. Wasn't a big fan of 4g until I saw the difference in downloading . But check out some reviews to get a more in depth view of a phone. If I was buying a new phone it would be. Galaxy nexus, raz/maxx/htc rezound . All 4g phones. But its good to have even if its limited in your area. Its limited in my area as well. I drive 4miles north and its back to 3g. But is a phone for you. Everyone is different. But check them out just to see if u like them. But moto,sammy,and htc have great phones.

How could you not be a fan of real 4G LTE? :D

marksalone2010

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
So ok, not a fan of 4g that's new one. HTC rezound. My first. Was stolen, then confiscated and held as evidence . That last was the result of my finding my phone before the police. Silly me I took pics of the carnage. I dare say though, homie will most certainly think twice befores tealing anything again anyways, so impressed with the resound was I, that I chose to pay full price for a new one. I have owned a resound since the day the first went on sale. Ihave never called tech support. It has never givin me a reason that's where my money is. The resound

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't a fan do to lack of coverage in my area. . But I think they put up new towers today . I now have great coverage around me and my speeds are mind blowing. Lol and also at first 4g wouldn't stay connected to my thunderbolt so hard to like it when I couldnt use it much :D