Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    CM9

Default [ICS] Disable Google contacts and move contacts to phone

Hello there!

I don't want my contacts to be synced with Google. IIRC, this was possible in 2.x. Having upgraded to 4.0.4, I'm not able to disable Google contacts.

I'd like to:

1. Disable contact sync (this works)
    2. Change all contacts from Google contacts to phone contacts
    3. Add new contacts as phone contacts by default.

Using the "Accounts and Sync" settings, I'm only able to deselect "Sync Contacts", but I can't find a way to move the contacts and disable the creation of new Google contacts.

Could anybody tell me how to accomplish this setup? Thank you very much!

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Default Re: [ICS] Disable Google contacts and move contacts to phone

First turn off the gmail contacts sync as you've already done.

In the People app, you can export your contacts under the menu option.

Once exported delete all the contacts in your app.

Import your contacts back into People, but import them to the phone thin time.

Your contacts will still be in gmail so if you want you can log into gmail and delete them on the website.

All done!

Hope this helps.
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

Default Re: [ICS] Disable Google contacts and move contacts to phone

I am new to Android and HTC and learning. Came from WebOS. Anyway, I am getting blurry caller ID pictures and I have read I need to disable contact syncing in gmail and use HTC Facebook. So I have 2 dumb questions:

1. How do I disable syncing contacts in gmail.

2. I see the facebook for htc app in all apps but the main facebook for android app seems to be running and I can't see how to use just the htc facebook app.

Sorry if the question is overly basic, I usually feel pretty good about doing all of this but am stuck here.