[HELP] Superuser binary update gaining root access fail error

Miguipigui

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
This is my first actual post so please bare with me through it. I?m trying to be as explicit as I can and also I?ve attached a zip file with several screenshots (couldn?t re-size them to add them directly so it was easier to just put them in a zip) if anyone would like a direct view of what is happening.

Yesterday I decided to unlock and root my Galaxy Nexus. I have the factory unlocked GSM version (bought on amazon). I got my 4.0.4 update OTA about 2 weeks ago (before unlock/root).
Using the "Wug's Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit" and following this post from Android forums I started the process.
I succesfully instaled drivers and unlocked my GNEX, but I encountered a problem at the final steps of the rooting. Right after you install the su.zip and the phone reboots, you are asked to download ROM Manager and re-flash the recovery. This is where my problems started.
I downloaded and opened ROM Manager, selected the "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" and at about 95% (estimated, since there is only a bar indicating advancement) I get this message "An error ocurred while attempting to run privilieged commands!". I retried severall times, re did the root sequence, and nothing.
After that I started doubting I actually did acomplish the rooting so I installed Terminal Emulator and ConnectBot and entered "su" in both consoles (hoping to get the # response meaning I am rooted) and I got "Permission denied".
So I went ahead and tried every single rooting method explained in the post and repeated the terminal test and got the same response. After several hours of frustration I decided to investigate on Superuser and found out that my su binary needs an upgrade.
This I believe is the source of my problems since the su binary is in charge of noticeing the superuser rights requiered from all the apps, compare it with the database and promp to allow root access if requiered and I currently have no apps in my superuser app (eventhough I have several root apps installed).
So I tryied upgrading the binary using the option in settings but once it gets to the point of "Gaining root access" y says "fail!". I retryied several times but had the same effect.
I also tryied to directly install it via recovery mode but it said an error has ocurred and it aborted the the instalation (tryied this for both the su app and binary, and just the binary).

I?ve basiclly run out of options and don?t know what else to do but start all over (?re-unlock I guess?) but that?s just a desperate measure. I?m using stock 4.0.4 (haven?t installed any ROM).
Thanks for reading!
Please help!:confused:

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
If you are unlocked - you should be able to download the latest Clockwork recovery for the Galaxy Nexus GSM from here:
ClockworkMod ROM Manager - Recoveries and flash it in HBOOT.

Once you have that, you should be able to flash the updates SU as well.

Keep in mind - I don't have a GNex so I'm just using Android logic.

Hope this helps.

Miguipigui

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
PvilleComp,
I tryied your suggestion but I still got the same results. After I flahed the ClockworkMod Recovery in Fastboot (HBOOT for the GNex) I opened recovery mode.
Once there I sellect "instal .zip on sdcard", then "select .zip from sdcard", and finally I select the zip file for the su binary update and once it starts installing I get an error message and instalation is aborted.
I also tried installing the package SU app+binary and had the same error.
Any ideas of something I've might have done wrong?

Miguipigui

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I've finally corrected the issue thanks to the help of Scary Alien in this post. Just go to the end of it (page 11) and you'll see the full explination. Here's it in short:

There is currently a problem with the su.zip used in GSM GNex with 4.0.4, in order to make Superuser work properly, just instal this su.zip (ClockworkMod flashable) and Viola! Problem fixed. :D

Reactions: Keekers11

antoniolut

May 7, 2012
Visit site
got the same problem one updated mine rooted galaxy note to ics 4.03 kan make proper phone call mic not working good kan get root tried every thing s o if some body knows a good anser i am on n7000 xxlp1 3.015-n7000xxlp1-cl88317 iml74k

Stephanie Rondon

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
If you are unlocked - you should be able to download the latest Clockwork recovery for the Galaxy Nexus GSM from here:
ClockworkMod ROM Manager - Recoveries and flash it in HBOOT.

Once you have that, you should be able to flash the updates SU as well.

how do you flash it?? i downloaded the file and i dont know what to do after? im not too familiar with this

Keep in mind - I don't have a GNex so I'm just using Android logic.

Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair