Multiple questions re: new phone/new carrier

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm still on my first Android Phone (an EVO 4G on Sprint) that's rooted running CM7. I'm due for an upgrade, so am weighing a few options (including switching to Verizon). I have not decided on a phone yet, but obviously will be dependent on the carrier.

So I have been compiling a list of questions. A little all over the place, I realize, but figured I'd ask them all at once.

Switching Carriers
I am thinking of switching from Sprint to Verizon for a variety of reasons (better coverage mostly, but also because I have Sprint's Wimax here, but the area isn't even on the rollout schedule yet for their LTE, while I'd have access to Verizon's LTE right now). I realize Verizon has data caps, which is why I've been keeping track over the last several months of my data usage and don't feel this will be an issue for me (I usually hover in the 1GB/month of usage since I'm usually on wi-fi).

On to my question: is there a place anywhere that will let me choose plans and calculate my "real" bill after taxes and fees and whatnot? I realize the carrier sites are almost useless in calculating what the actual bill will be. Perhaps I just need to go to the store and have them tell me.

Backup and restoring apps and data
I know I am rooted and as such, can use Titanium backup to back up all my apps and data. However, what about restoring this onto a new phone (that may or may not be rootable)? Are there any other options?

SD Card
I'm rooted so I've moved a lot of apps to my SD card. My new phone may or may not have removable storage, so I'm not sure how that would work. If my new phone does, can I just take out the SD card and plug it into the new phone? More than likely I'd be buying a bigger SD card (currenly only have an 8GB card...so would buy a 16GB or 32GB one). Do you just copy the existing SD card to the new one?

Google Voice
I've used Sprint's GV integration, so I don't have separate phone numbers for my cell and GV. I believe that is the only "advantage" of the Sprint integration, right? If I switch carriers, would I just tell Verizon to give me a brand new number and leave my existing number set up for Google Voice (and then of course switch GV to forward calls to my new number)? Or would the integration carry with it? I'm not sure what I need to do with it. For the future, I am thinking about just separating the numbers regardless of if I stay with Sprint or not. I am not sure if I should or not. Advice?

Removable Battery vs. not
I know this is a preference thing, but I've had my rooted EVO 4G completely lock up on several occasions (by "completely" I do mean "completely"....can't even pull up the reboot menu by holding the power button). It's rare, but when it happens, I have to do a battery pull. Isn't this an issue with phones with non-removable batteries? How do you reboot the phone if it's completely unresponsive? Wait several days for the battery to completely drain so you can reboot it? I do think I'll be choosing a phone with a removable battery regardless, but just curious if someone can comment on the above reboot issue specifically, as that will be my deciding factor in which option to go with (moreso than not being able to swap in a spare battery or how batteries go bad over time).

Thanks everyone for your time.

Last edited:

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
If you're switching to VZW you might want to look at the Nexus - you know rooting won't be an issue and there are plenty of good ROM's.

The HTC's will be able to have the bootloader unlocked (but no S-OFF) so again rooting should not be an issue.

As far as apps go, as you know Titanium is great, but be careful what you restore. Do not restore any system data. I would re-download your apps from the Play Store and then restore the data only for those apps that hold State.

Here's an article I did about backup and restores. http://forums.androidcentral.com/in...back-up-what-restore-when-switching-roms.html It may help.

Can't help with Google Voice. I had a number but it was used so infrequently Google took it back! ;)

I'm with you on the battery thing - I prefer a removable battery for lockups and so I can put a monster battery in when needed. I know that the phones without a removable battery do have a "hard off" button combination for lockup situations.

Hope this helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781