Problem with "Navigate to" contact address

wyt168

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
With Google's voice action (or voice search), I can use the "navigate to" command to start the navigation app directly. However, this seems to work only with address, name of places.
For example, I tried "navigate to 1234 main street" or "navigate to san jose airport" or "navigate to Starbucks on oakland road". The commands were recognized in all cases. For the last one, it prompted me with a list of choices for the end points, and once selected, proceeded correctly with the navigation.
However, if I say "navigate to John Doe home", although it also recognized the command correctly (i.e. it came up with the prompt "navigate to john doe home" and asked me to choose "go" or "cancel"), it would not come up with the correct address from the contact list as the end point to navigate to, but instead it would come up with a list of end points not related to John Doe at all, even if I have John Doe in my contact list (with the home address).
I googled around and it appeared that other users have also experienced similar problems, with some dating back 2-3 years ago. I just discovered this since I just switched from iPhone to a Samsung Skyrocket (with Gingerbread v2.3.6).
Seems to be a simple problem to resolve. I can't believe that this problem is not (AFAIK) getting the attention of Google as I think this would be encountered by a lot of people.
Also I am wondering if there is a way to get around this beside giving the full address in the voice search command. After all the idea is to avoid the step of searching for the contact's address in the first place--if I've already found it, I might as well just click a few more times to get navigation going.

Last edited:

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I'll try to replicate this with my phone to see if I can figure out where the problem is and I'll post back if I find anything.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci