Alternative Text-to-Speech Suggestions

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I feel like an idiot since I have been using my EVO 4G for going on 2 years and didn't know I could change the voice from the default robotic voice (which I've learned is called PICO).

So last night I downloaded Ivona and installed the UK Amy voice, which is much more natural sounding, but when I used it for navigating to work this morning, I wasn't a big fan (for example, it would say to take a right in a quarter mile, then more often than not, it would not do anything when I was actually at the turn).

That and of course it wouldn't say any street names (like it would just say "take a right" whereas PICO would say "turn right onto Main St." I assume PICO does this because it's more of an actual text-to-speech thing without built-in phrases? Which of course why it sounds more robotic? I'm not sure...just guessing)

So I'm wondering if it's worth trying out SVOX? Is that a little better? Or does it have more to do with the voice I'm using vs. the engine? Or is there something else I should look at?

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Give SVOX a try. Worst that can happen is that you go back to the Stock Text to Speech.. I'm curious what you will find. I have not played with the TTS. but I would not mind a more natural sounding voice.