Android Newbie here: a few basic questions

Argelius1

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Hello All,

I am along-time iPhone user who, because of his general gadget obsession, decided to get an Android phone (Google Galaxy Nexus, GSM) to play with for a while. Gotta say, I love the big screen. The iPhone 5 better have a larger screen, or I may forever be wedded to Android.

I've done my best to answer my questions (i.e. I've looked through the interwebs and these forums), but I've got a few random ones I need help with.

[1] I understand the Nexus/ICS did away with a dedicated search button. Can someone tell me how to quickly do a search. (On the iPhone you swipe to the left of the home screen and can search the phone and the Internet from there). I've added the Google Search widget, but rather than typing from in the search box, as soon as I touch it the search app opens up (and takes over the whole screen). Is there a quicker way to search for things (primarily on the phone)?

[2]Can you change what appears on the notification screen and status bar? For instance, I don't want to see notifications when apps have been installed, etc. Really just want SMS, email, voicemail, etc notifications? Is there a central place where this can be controlled, or is it application specific (with some notices, like app installation, that can't be turned off)?

[3] Can anyone recommend alternative email apps to GMail that play well with multiple (GMail) accounts? The stock app doesn't appear to have a unified inbox and I frequently find myself hunting for reply, forward, etc, which are frequently hidden in popup menus.

[4] I'm a little confused about the App Drawer (? is that the correct term) versus the home screens. Are the home screens meant to be customized with widgets and your favorite apps, with the rest of the apps hiding in the App drawer? I find the distinction a little confusing, but perhaps this is just my iOS brain thinking. (FYI I'm using GO Launcher EX).

[5]Can you point me to a good place with detailed instructions on how to root the phone (and a Mac)? Those I've stumbled upon have been seemingly directed toward people who have done it before. (I'm an experienced jailbreaker on the iphone).

Thanks for your thoughts!

Last edited:

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
[1] I understand the Nexus/ICS did away with a dedicated search button. Can someone tell me how to quickly do a search. (On the iPhone you swipe to the left of the home screen and can search the phone and the Internet from there). I've added the Google Search widget, but rather than typing from in the search box, as soon as I touch it the search app opens up (and takes over the whole screen). Is there a quicker way to search for things (primarily on the phone)?

In the Stock launcher there is a Google search widget at the top of each screen, but as you pointed out it launches a full screen Google search. This is probably the fastest way since it will start displaying results with the 2nd letter.

[2]Can you change what appears on the notification screen and status bar? For instance, I don't want to see notifications when apps have been installed, etc. Really just want SMS, email, voicemail, etc notifications? Is there a central place where this can be controlled, or is it application specific (with some notices, like app installation, that can't be turned off)?

In the Settings for the Play app there is an option to turn off app update notifications. I think it will still notify you that an app successfully installed/updates, because sometimes they don't and you would want to know that! ;) For the most part notifications are application specific since it's the apps that have to be coded to use it.

[3] Can anyone recommend alternative email apps to GMail that play well with multiple (GMail) accounts? The stock app doesn't appear to have a unified inbox and I frequently find myself hunting for reply, forward, etc, which are frequently hidden in popup menus.

Touchdown and K-9 are both very popular alternative email clients. You might want to give them a shot.

[4] I'm a little confused about the App Drawer (? is that the correct term) versus the home screens. Are the home screens meant to be customized with widgets and your favorite apps, with the rest of the apps hiding in the App drawer? I find the distinction a little confusing, but perhaps this is just my iOS brain thinking. (FYI I'm using GO Launcher EX).

You are absolutely correct. Home screens are available to be customized however you want them. Widgets and select apps or every app you have a la iPhone if that's what you want. The app drawer will hold everything, whether it's on a home screen or not. For example, I have my most used on the Main screen with a nice clock/weather widget. Another holds work/tool related apps; another holds "info" widgets like Weather Channel Widget, Calendar Widget, ect; another holds games my son likes and so on.

[5]Can you point me to a good place with detailed instructions on how to root the phone (and a Mac)? Those I've stumbled upon have been seemingly directed toward people who have done it before. (I'm an experienced jailbreaker on the iphone).

Which Nexus - the VZW or the GSM?

Hope this helps!

Reactions: Argelius1

Argelius1

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks -- that was most helpful!

(And my last question should have specified I have a GSM phone and should have said "on a Mac", not "and a Mac...")

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site

Unfortunately, as the line of Android devices gets better, the process of rooting gets a bit more complicated. I have sent numerous folks here to root their GNex and I have not heard a complaint yet.

Argelius1

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. 1 more quick question if I may: since I am finding android so much more open and customizable, or am wondering what the benefits of rooting are and if they are worth the hassle. Jail breaking the iPhone added enough core functionality that it was useful. Wondering if same is true with Android ICS

me is

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Rooting just gives you Super User permissions on the device. There are apps in the market like Titanium Backup and others that require root to work. If you're not using them and you have no desire to load other ROM's then you probably don't need to root the phone.

If I remember correctly unlocking the boot loader on the GNex does require a reset of the device so if you do want to root you will have to re-set up your phone.

Jerry wrote a great article about this that is a must read for new Android users and those new to root.
http://www.androidcentral.com/rooting-it-me-some-qa

Hope this helps.

Argelius1

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks - that was most helpful.

I've pretty much decided I'm already overwhelmed with the options available on the stock Android that I don't really need any more features...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae