General sim unlocking question

Wilhem_Scream

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I tried posting in the specific phone forum but nobody goes in there it seems. I have a phone that I have the code to unlock its sim. I got it through the provider and all but was told that I needed to put whatever card I wanted to use in it and then enter the code and it would tie in to that carrier. But they also said its functions would be limited such as 4g etc...
I am selling the phone so that doesnt help me as far as unlocking it and I was wondering if there was another way to unlock it so it functions normal and wont have to be tied to one provider? Any info on this would be great and if I have this in the wrong place, could it be moved to where it needs to be please? Thanks in advance.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm not 100% sure how Android unlocking works, but with BBs once it's unlocked it's unlocked!

Wilhem_Scream

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Is the way to unlocking it the same way I have been told to do it? I have an extra Verizon sim lying around and like I said, the other carrier who gave me the code said it would tie in with whatever card was put in. The Verizon sim isnt activated and is brand new so has never been linked with an account. I just dont want to do it and have it stick to that sim because then I have to call Verizon and explain this whole thing and its not worth the headache lol.

I doubt it would remove anything belonging to the other carrier either so if someone buys it, they'll be stuck with that. Maybe I will just add to the sale post that I have the code and if they want to unlock it, itll be provided. I'll keep looking and see if I can dig up anymore info on it. Thanks for the help. May have to try and see but a last resort

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
You haven't told us what phone it is, or your current carrier. There are many phones out there that simply won't work on other carriers due to the radio frequencies and technologies. For example, AT&T and T-Mobile phones won't work on Verizon and Sprint and vice versa due to the difference in GSM and CDMA. Also, some phones switched between AT&T and T-Mobile will only work on EDGE.

Reactions: Wilhem_Scream

Wilhem_Scream

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The phone I called and got the code for is from T-Mobile and the HTC Amaze. I didn't list them because the forum said non specific phone questions need to go to their forum. I tried that but nobody seems to post much there. The problem is that 1 I don't have an extra 4g sim laying around that is compatible ( i was aware of the lack of compatibility issues).
And 2. Even if I did, I wouldn't want it attached to that phone. I guess what I am asking is there any way to use the code T-Mobile gave me and unlock the phone with it without attaching to another sim? A way to just keep it open for the person who buys it? I use verizon so I have no use for the phone as does my fiance, who is the one I am trying to sell it for. If there isn't a way to do it, I suppose I will just send the code to the buyer if it sells.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm not positive, but I believe what T-Mo is saying is that you put in the sim you want to use, whether it be from another carrier or prepaid, then you enter the code and it will unlock it for that sim,and if you switch to a different sim, you have to put the code in again. Their statement on limited functions is probably their way of saying it may not be fully compatible, like I explained in my previous post.

Reactions: Wilhem_Scream

Wilhem_Scream

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
That could be. I'll wait and see if anyone even buys it before screwing with it and pass the code on to them if they need it. If it doesn't sell, I guess she has a back up phone if she wants to sign back with T mobile. Thanks for your help to the both of you. Its appreciated.

davidht

May 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm not positive, but I believe what T-Mo is saying is that you put in the sim you want to use, whether it be from another carrier or prepaid, then you enter the code and it will unlock it for that sim,and if you switch to a different sim, you have to put the code in again. Their statement on limited functions is probably their way of saying it may not be fully compatible, like I explained in my previous post.

I think that's not how it works. The phones that have a SIMlock can be unlocked entering a code that is asked when you insert a SIM from a different carrier (than the one that placed the lock). Once you enter the code the phone is unlocked and will allow a SIM from any carrier. It's completely legal and doesn't void warranties.

surfguy17

May 7, 2012
Visit site
sorry to hijack the thread but didnt want to make another unlocking thread. just had a quick question.

is unlocking an android more like a blackberry where if u update the os the phone would still be unlocked or more like an iphone where if u unlock and update the os then u have to unlock again?

davidht

May 13, 2012
Visit site
sorry to hijack the thread but didnt want to make another unlocking thread. just had a quick question.

is unlocking an android more like a blackberry where if u update the os the phone would still be unlocked or more like an iphone where if u unlock and update the os then u have to unlock again?

If you're talking about SIM Unlocking, then nope, once you've SIM unlocked your phone you can update it with no effect, it will remain unlocked.

Jan 5, 2018
Visit site
Okay so question, idk if this is SIM unlocking or what but i took my sim that is no longer n use and stuck it n a friends used droid maxx and its asking for lock code. I only be few attempts left. Idk that lock code and tried all I did know. Same carrier also. Reason I did that because when her deactivated sim was in it it was asking for a 4 to 8 puk code and we couldn't figure it out. I'm really just wanting for Wi-Fi right now not to activate . any idea or suggestions pls

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Okay so question, idk if this is SIM unlocking or what but i took my sim that is no longer n use and stuck it n a friends used droid maxx and its asking for lock code. I only be few attempts left. Idk that lock code and tried all I did know. Same carrier also. Reason I did that because when her deactivated sim was in it it was asking for a 4 to 8 puk code and we couldn't figure it out. I'm really just wanting for Wi-Fi right now not to activate . any idea or suggestions pls
Welcome to the forums. If you only need the phone to be on WiFi, it shouldn't need to have a SIM in it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1