Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    OOT

Question ICS Question: Automatically store to SD card?

First post (first Android use). I have an Asus Transformer Prime 101 running ICS. It has 16 GB internal but I've added a Class 10 32 GB microSD card. I was wondering if there is a way to automatically have pictures taken with the camera stored on the microSD card? Or do I have to have pictures/movies stored internally and then transfer them? Ideally I'd like anything downloaded (that's not an app) stored on the microSD card. That would include ebooks and music amongst other things. But I haven't figured out how to make either of those happen.

Thanks for any help you can give. I was going to post this in the Asus tablet forum area but thought it was more of a general how-to type of question concerning ICS. If that is incorrect then if a mod could move it there it would be appreciated.

Thanks again.
    CrackBerrian

Global Posts
    32,998 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.0, iOS 5.1, BB10

Default Re: ICS Question: Automatically store to SD card?

I take it you checked under settings/Storage?
    Rich C. (PKcable)

Visitor from CrackBerry.com!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    OOT

Quote Originally Posted by pkcable View Post
    I take it you checked under settings/Storage?
    I did. I have, under SD Card, Total Space: 30.91GB. Available Space: 30.91GB.

Here's where it gets a little weird (for me an Android noob). If I go here:

Apps -> File Manager -> DCIM -> Camera I have three pictures. Two were taken before I added the SD card. The third was after. At the top of the screen, it says /sdcard/DCIM/Camera/.

BUT, on the left, if I scroll down to MicroSD and click that, all I get on the right side is LOST.DIR. And in there there are no files.

So are the pictures on the SD card (as the top of the right side says), or is that empty except for the LOST.DIR folder (which is what it says when I click on the MicroSD card link)???

I'm very confused.

Thanks again for any and all help that you can give. It is very much appreciated.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    OOT

Question Re: ICS Question: Automatically store to SD card?

Anything?

Should I create an "ebooks" folder on the SD card using File Manager to tie Aldiko to? Not sure how the SD card is being used.

Again, thanks for any advice/information you can provide. It is very much appreciated.
    Samurai Dev

ROM
    IllusionB / OM

DCIM should be on your sd... i always manually copy/move them to another folder i made on my sd called images... as far as aldiko is concerned... when you installed it, it shouldve made a corresponding folder on your sd... :-)
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    OOT

Quote Originally Posted by clodfelterac View Post
    DCIM should be on your sd... i always manually copy/move them to another folder i made on my sd called images... as far as aldiko is concerned... when you installed it, it shouldve made a corresponding folder on your sd... :-)
    It's weird that it says I have two SD's. One I guess is the internal and the other says MicroSD. Aldiko did not make a corresponding folder on the MicroSD but did do so on "sd" (which I guess is the internal one). I have no problem copying the files from the internal to the MicroSD card. I was just hoping there was an easy way to make the system automatically that itself. I thought that's what having the Class 10 Micro SD was for (fast write operations). Perhaps that was another selling point on the salespersons list *blush*

For my eBooks I can always create my own folder (or move the existing one) from the internal sd to the MicroSD. Although I'm not sure if I want to. eBooks are small so having them on the internal will allow me (if needed) to switch out the MicroSD with a new card but still have all of my books available whenever I want.

Thanks for all the help Androiders ... I'm new but learning
    Samurai Dev

ROM
    IllusionB / OM

anytime... :-)

Global Posts
    3,674 Global Posts

I have a similar question to the OP's--an identical question, really. I think I just don't understand the answer.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Blaze 4G, and I'm pretty new to Android. If I go into the Storage section of Settings, I find three areas: SD Card (14.83 GB), USB Storage (1.4 GB), and System Storage (769 MB available).

I've put some music on the SD card, but I'd like my camera and other apps to store files there too, as they do on my BB 9900. I can't seem to make that happen.

If I start up Astro file manager, it takes me to /mnt/sdcard, which seems to be its name for what's called USB Storage. To browse the actual SD card, I have to go to /mnt/sdcard/external_sd.

If I go into Applications and click on Move to SD Card, it moves them to that internal drive, /mnt/sdcard, not to the 16 GB external drive. How can I get them to use the actual 16 GB card in the slot?

Edit: There's another difference between my situation and the OP's: I don't have ICS. I don't know if that makes a huge difference to this question.
    Last edited by ubizmo; 05-14-2012 at 01:09 PM.