1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

Default Are Slider Phones Dead?

Just curious, as I keep looking at the latest & greatest...yet see that nobody has picked up on a dedicated QWERTY keyboard for an Android phone in the longest. Am I just SOL with the way technology is going? Seems as though on Sprint, my only choice for a new slider phone is the Samsung Epic - and that thing is *old* now.

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Are Slider Phones Dead?

I don't think physical keyboards are dead. Right now devices are being pumped out that are thin. This is hard to achieve with the sliders since the hardware restricts how thin the device can be made. Be patient, devices should be released soon enough with hardware keyboards -- Android has thrived in part because of the hardware options available on the market.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

I totally understand the current trend of technology with things being small and sleek - and how this restricts the use of a hardware keyboard. I was just wondering if this smaller & more compact trend is going to continue? Or is there any manufacturer on the horizon that might see some use for physical keyboards again? (specifically, the sliding kind. The shared screen style is just silly.)

I think the trend of slider phones (physical keyboards) are about over. If anything I would expect to see a few low/mid range devices here and there but I think the real last powerhouse device to have great success with a physical KB was the Samsung Epic 4g from Sprint.

Swype, Slideit and other apps to improve on screen KB's its virtually eliminated the usefulness of the slider, plus it cuts down in size, weight and I'm sure cost and OS integration at the same time.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

I'll admit that Swype has improved the scene of on-screen text keyboards for me. However, there's more than enough times that I get frustrated at it and need a physical keyboard to type something up well. Maybe newer versions of Swype in better hardware makes the experience/adaptation/learning/whatever better, but as it stands on all the phones I've seen, there's just some situations where it royally fails.

Just sucks that one of Android's best features was that hardware manufacturers could include non-iPhone hardware features to allow for customer phone selection. However, with all manufacturers just replicating the "king" of the hill, it seems as though they're all in on iPhone cloning features. I can't blame them for doing what's best economically, but a big, big feature that made Android stand out is being left in the dust.

As I said above that is why there will still always been the low end/mid range units that will have a qwerty physical keyboard for those who still just have to have it for these reasons. I just don't think we will really ever see it in a high end smartphone anymore, it just doesn't fit the mold of a high end smartphone.

I'll admit at times I miss my Epic 4g's KB, it was nice in some situations.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,030 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Does the Droid 4 not count? I have always said that I'm partial to physical keyboards, however, I have yet to own a large screen phone. My OV's screen size just isn't sufficient. It's been so long though, that I think just having a larger screen would help me out immensely. I've never been a fan of Swype.
    --Chris [cole2kb]
    Thanked by:
    Ry 

Quote Originally Posted by cole2kb View Post
    Does the Droid 4 not count? ...
    I have yet to own a smartphone without a dedicated keyboard, Motorola MPx 200, Motorola MPx 220, BlackBerry Pearl, ATT Fuze, HTC TouchPro2, Palm Pre2, and now the Droid 4. At times I feel like a dinosaur refusing to change, however, I really like the feel of a hardware keyboard, and appreciate the fact I don't lose any screen real estate when I'm typing. Because I'm a big texter/emailer I'm OK with the extra thickness / weight required of the slide-out kb.

btw, I love having a Moto phone again after a number of years away. Now, if I can only get the hang of this new thing called "Android".
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,030 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    --Chris [cole2kb]

I personally think slider phones are pointless with the size of screens phones are now. At max I would use a physical keyboard on a 4" phone, but I would prefer something like 3.5"-3.8". Now with the 4.5" and whatnot phones, keyboard become to big and it's really easier to type in portrait mode on a touchscreen

ROM
    Stock ROM (Froyo)

I personally think slider phones should be used more in todays phones. Heck I'm using a slider to type this! I'll admit, my Galaxy Q is a little outdated but mine is still brand new. Swyyp (That's how its spelled right?)
    Is great but if you type normally on it the tpas are quite laggy so I always find my self juggleing between the physical keybord, swyyp, and the normal on screen keybord. (Ahh look at me I'm so far off topic, I do that ALL the time) TO THE POINT I think slide out keybords should be given a second chance in todays smart phones. They will never die out for me and if they do (one day) cease to completely exist in phones they will always have a special place in my heart, right next to my nintendo 64 :P
    Sent from my SGH-T589R using Android Central Forums
    --Now that that's out of the way, anyone up for some frozen yogurt?

i like slider phones just bought one, it is mid-range now but worth it and was easier to add foxfi to than the new models

I don't see the need for physical keyboards either. Especially sliders. I didn't like having to slide the keyboard out when I wanted to type a message. And I like my phones thin. I realized a long time ago that the physical keyboard was going to slowly go away.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

I like options. On screen keyboard for short messages and physical keyboard when I feel like pontificating.

with the release of all new devices, I don't see physical keyboards coming back. I do believe there will be some low level devices with keyboard, but those of a higher caliber will be touch screen. I used to be a keyboard person, now with my 3D Evo, I can't live without the touch screen with swype... Adjusted to using Swype in 1 day... Whats a learning curve...