1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How Do I Know When My Battery Needs Replacing?

My 8 month old HTC Wildfire S is really acting up lately. Its been restarting on it's own, and in an endless loop of boot screens. Sometimes it boots up correctly, but it just restarts again and gets stuck there. The last time it managed to successfully boot, I notice the icon for the battery wouldn't budge no matter how long I charged it for. In addition, the battery has been getting burning hot when it's just sitting there and doing nothing.

I tried factory reset twice -- but the problem still persisted. The second time I didn't download any of my apps or open anything, and it still crashed.

I've ordered a new battery, but I really don't know if its even the problem. I had an iPhone for the longest time before this, so I'm not familiar with the Droid. And mine isn't rooted either.

Was I right to order a new battery? Any ideas on what else it might be? Thanks.

Default Re: How Do I Know When My Battery Needs Replacing?

I'm thinking that it's the phone, not the battery. The battery shouldn't cause reboots or even incorrect reporting of its charge. You should have at least a 1yr warranty on the phone. I'd contact the carrier and list your complaints. I went through a few Captivates that were rebooting, etc. They kept replacing them and it wasn't the battery. The phone would also cause your over-heated battery.

Global Posts
    6,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

I agree that it's probably not the battery causing the problem. See how the new battery works when you receive it then go from there. I'd probably start with the carrier now so they are aware of the problem and inform them a replacement battery is on the way.

To know when the battery is bad is to take out the battery and look at it from a side view and if u see any bumbs that means its really bad

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Android Central Forums
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Ah okay, thanks guys. I'm honestly just considering getting a new phone... this phone has been giving me problems (internal storage too small, sd card always getting suddenly removed, etc.) since day one, and it's not that old either.

I'll look into the warranty thing though. I did try to get insurance from Virgin Mobile, but they're having trouble detecting my coverage at all, and either way the deductible is how much I paid for the phone in the first place. Bah.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimocone View Post
    I'm thinking that it's the phone, not the battery. The battery shouldn't cause reboots or even incorrect reporting of its charge. You should have at least a 1yr warranty on the phone. I'd contact the carrier and list your complaints. I went through a few Captivates that were rebooting, etc. They kept replacing them and it wasn't the battery. The phone would also cause your over-heated battery.
    Actually, a faulty battery can cause the symptoms the OP has described. Depending on their use and charging habits, a battery can be shot in just a few months. I know this from experience, having killed several batteries due to working my phones like a rented mule for the last 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by icewater106 View Post
    To know when the battery is bad is to take out the battery and look at it from a side view and if u see any bumbs that means its really bad

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Android Central Forums
    Actually, none of the batteries that I've killed had any outward signs of failure.

Global Posts
    1,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

BergerKing is correct. I've seen quite a few posts about random reboots and booting problems that turned out to be bad batteries.

Same EXACT thing is happening to my phone...I got a replacement phone (same phone galaxy strat.) and the same thing is happening! I think its the battery because its a new phone but same battery :c